Ringneck dove missing leg

townchicks

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Dec 1, 2016
Contra Costa county, Ca.
Something apparently grabbed hold of my ringnecks leg during the night. It was removed cleanly and the bleeding has stopped. Surprisingly, he looks pretty bright and alert, but just laying on his side. Can doves do ok with only one leg? I see starlings around with only one leg and they seem to do fine.

Something apparently grabbed hold of my ringnecks leg during the night. It was removed cleanly and the bleeding has stopped. Surprisingly, he looks pretty bright and alert, but just laying on his side. Can doves do ok with only one leg? I see starlings around with only one leg and they seem to do fine.
I don't think the dove can't serv

I don't think the dove can't serv
I lost my signal sorry it might be awkward at first, but I'm sure the Dove will be fine. But I'm sure you know your bigger problem is what vermin took the leg! And how did it get too the Dove? If it's stump starts to bleed again place the place or site in corn starch or flour it will stop the bleeding and isolate the dove from others so it's mates won't peck at the site! Good luck!!
Crzytrkr

Anything is possible... if the bleeding has stopped. Getting the bird passed shock... sometimes providing extra support through vitamins and electrolytes. Sometimes birds in shock won't eat or drink. Assuming they were on the right feed the bird will not die from malnutrition... but dehydration is deadly fast. So ensure the bird is getting fluid if you are going to try and save it. Probiotics could be a bonus during this time to help support immunity. If the bird is drinking, great. If not try dripping liquid below the nostril and they will usually swallow when it rolls around into the mouth naturally. I usually hold the bird while doing this.

I don't know the dosage... research it, but aspirin is sometimes used for pain in birds.

Also your culprit could well have been rats. They are known bird predators. :mad:

You might be able to make him a small sling or something to help get him off his side. Here is couple examples.. just scale it to size and improvise...
upload_2018-5-13_10-56-45.jpeg
upload_2018-5-13_10-57-39.jpeg
images
If you don't think you will be able to deal with a disabled bird, if it does recover and can't walk or poo without messing itself... culling might be the humane thing to do for both of you. :(

:fl

Thank you both for your concern. I took him to the vet, his wing was also injured, (probably from flapping around in the cage), and his tail was out of joint. I chose to euthanize him, I don't think his quality of life would have been very good. He was the only bird in that cage at the time, so I am not going to use that cage again. He had been outside for 5 years without incident, butI guess it was not as secure as I thought it was. I am bummed, and I feel bad for him that this happened. I was not as attached to this one as I am to my other doves, though. Going to double check the other cage, though there isn't a way to get hold of them from outside, as it seems happened to this bird.

I learned through unfortunate incident that even a 1" hole (chicken wire) is enough for something to grab a bird. Strangely, the birds want to sleep near the edge, thinking that they have their back or side to something. Ironically, the middle of the cage or coop, which would have made the bird feel like he has no protection or hiding space, would have been safer.

I have seen and owned one legged pigeons. They are a bit slower but they were fine!

Back
Top Bottom