Ringneck questions

MeanCheek

Pyncheon
10 Years
Jul 17, 2012
Western Montana
I was given a beautiful melanistic cockerel (is that what a young male pheasant is called?) a few weeks ago. He is my first pheasant and I have some questions:

1. I know that ringnecks are some of the craziest pheasants, but does anybody have any tips for 'taming' them.

2. He's by himself and I've read that another male could be put with him, would it have to be a ringneck? Or could it be an Amhearst?

3. How can I encourage him to use his shelter? He sleeps on the opposite side of his pen, even when it's windy, and the nights are getting to be cold.

They will seek shelter only when they choose to…..it should be available, but all mine choose their own favorite roosting spots (cockbird likes the window, 1 hen likes the gate, and another hen likes the roof :confused:) you can have multiple males of different varieties as long as introduced properly and no females around anywhere. As far as taming, you can sometimes gain their trust with lots of time and treats. Cockbirds are typically easier to tame than hens. I give mine 5-grain premium scratch with dried mealworms but others prefer BOSS. Big thing is security from escape and from predators. Mine freak out if a squirrel gets too close 😂 or when days get short and I have to do my feeding at dusk.

It's easier to tame them if you hatch them...one that has some age on them will be harder to tame. Do not put an Amherst cockbird in the same pen with a Ringnecked cockbird or you will loose the Amherst. Sometimes even 2 Ringnecked cockbirds in the same pen will result in the death of one of them, especially if hens are close enough to be seen or heard.
As far as roosting, they will choose to roost wherever they prefer...most of the time on the ground and at the far end of the pen and not under a sheltered area.

It's easier to tame them if you hatch them...one that has some age on them will be harder to tame. Do not put an Amherst cockbird in the same pen with a Ringnecked cockbird or you will loose the Amherst. Sometimes even 2 Ringnecked cockbirds in the same pen will result in the death of one of them, especially if hens are close enough to be seen or heard.
As far as roosting, they will choose to roost wherever they prefer...most of the time on the ground and at the far end of the pen and not under a sheltered area.
Thank you. Pity, I've always wanted an Amherst.

They will seek shelter only when they choose to…..it should be available, but all mine choose their own favorite roosting spots (cockbird likes the window, 1 hen likes the gate, and another hen likes the roof :confused:) you can have multiple males of different varieties as long as introduced properly and no females around anywhere. As far as taming, you can sometimes gain their trust with lots of time and treats. Cockbirds are typically easier to tame than hens. I give mine 5-grain premium scratch with dried mealworms but others prefer BOSS. Big thing is security from escape and from predators. Mine freak out if a squirrel gets too close 😂 or when days get short and I have to do my feeding at dusk.
Thank you so much!🙂

You can but he may accept them or may not...just depends on the bird. Some are more aggressive than others of the same species.
I have Bob's (20) and melanistic pheasants (a trio) in the same pen (approximately 500 sq.ft.)

More questions.

4. Are there any potted plants that I could put in with him? He already has a little fir tree, but that's all.

5. If I ever get him a hen or two, would he be more hard to tame?

6. Is a baby pheasant called a poult (like a turkey), or a chick?

7. Could a more ringnecky species like reeves or silver go with him?

8. I read of a creeping myrtle plant as something to do with pheasants, what is that?

Back
Top Bottom