Ringnecks pipping. Pics.. *HATCHED*...More pics.

The thing on the beak is called a "peeper". It keeps the cockbirds from fighting. They can chase but can't keep up because they have to turn their head sideways to see in front of them, which gives other cockbirds a chance to get away.

I see wet babies outside of the hatcher. That's a big no-no. You really want to leave them in the hatcher until they are completely dry and to give the other eggs an opportunity to hatch. Good luck with your hatch and congrats on the babies so far.
jumpy.gif

Jody

Quote:
I took them out after they had about two hours in the bator after hatching because they kept floppin really hard all around the inside o' the bator and really rollin the other eggs around.
Two of the eggs that got repositioned by new hatchlings floppin around stopped pipping alltogether and didn't hatch. I was tryin to prevent this from happining to more.
By removing the chicks did i mess with the humidity enough to stop the others from hatching ?

Quote:
My initial reason for getting them was for meat birds. But NOPE NOT NOW AINT HAPPININ . I'll be buildin a fly pen in the next couple o' weeks for 'em. Annnnnd, i'm sure Janet'll have names for 'em before long.
smile.png

By removing the chicks did i mess with the humidity enough to stop the others from hatching ?

That is possible, but please keep us posted how it goes. I don't ever open the incubator..especially for pheasants because humidity is so critical for their hatching success. They tend to hatch more aggressively when there are others in there running around. I know what you mean by how crazy they are in the hatcher, but it seems to work well for them and results in a better hatch. Good luck.

Jody​

I am going to put all 25 of mine in th flight pen and then 5 in a coop
smile.png
With a huge run. The 20 are heading out in to the wilderness

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
My initial reason for getting them was for meat birds. But NOPE NOT NOW AINT HAPPININ . I'll be buildin a fly pen in the next couple o' weeks for 'em. Annnnnd, i'm sure Janet'll have names for 'em before long.
smile.png

What is it about them that made you change your mind about using them for meat birds?

Quote:
smile.png

What is it about them that made you change your mind about using them for meat birds?

Well Miss Angie, I best go waayyy back to the begining.I used to be an extreeeemly avid hunter all my life. It was first and foremost in my life and i was extreeemly good at it. Then back in the late 80's i got very sick and hospitalized for better part o' 7 years. Ultimately i died and was brought beck. During my looooooooong recovery, I gained a new outlook on all life itself. Hence i now have no desire to harm anything in any way. In fact, it's difficult for me to feed wild mice and chipmunks to my snakes
even. I absolutley love the taste of roasted pheasant and as i said my intentions were a few meat birds and a few pen birds from this hatch to keep it going for a meat supply. But now that i have seen these little miracles hatch right before me under my care......NOPE NO WAY AINT GONNA HAPPEN NUH UH.
I have allways had a very deep and wonderfull fascination, love and respect for all living creatures even when i hunted. I still have it, maybe even more so now, but the desire to hunt is gone unless i do it with a camera.
Maybe someday i'll be able to seperate myself from one o' these pheasant and git i into the oven ( if someone else kills and preps it for me) but i doubt it.
Hope that answers yer question.
big_smile.png

Jim

Back
Top Bottom