RIR Rooster?

tinkerbell265

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 16, 2013
I've got a 1 month old RIR and she's looking like a he... It's supposed to be a pullet but I'm now thinking it's a cockerel and I'm VERY excited about the possibility! I was disappointed at first but the more I think it's a cockerel, the more I'm growing to love the idea. So, now I'm afraid I've set myself up for disappointment... Can any rooster-seasoned chicken keepers tell me what I've got?

Here he(?) is!! That comb seems a little red and large in comparison to my other chicks... This is the only RIR I've got in my bunch so I can't do an accurate comparison.

Here's a red cross pullet though... And her comb is small and still yellow. She's the same age. All my other chicks look similar in regards to comb size/color.

Here's and Isa brown pullet and her tail is in a fan... She's got really defined feathers that are either rounded off at the tail or squared. So, great! Pullet! She's got the tail of a small hen!

Here's my RIR supposed cockerel again... That tail curve. Lol. I can try to get a better picture if you guys need it but it seems the feathers are NOT defined at all. His tail feathers seem to come to a point at the ends... I can't tell if that's how they are or if some of the tail feathers got pecked and broken? Regardless there's a curve there.

It's a young bird and maybe it's all still developing because I remember thinking my last RIR who is now two was a cockerel when she was actually a pullet.

No spur buttons, hackle, or saddle feathers as of right now but like I said the bird is still young. There are no signs of aggression or anything like that either. I'm just going off the comb and tail.

Let me know what you think! This would be my first rooster ever and there's a good chance it's all in my head... If you think it IS a rooster, please give me all the taming and training advice you can! I've got a toddler and I free range, I'd hate to have to harvest him for going after my baby!

Last edited:
Yep! Looks like a rooster! We had to rehome my surprise rooster because of his aggressiveness, so I am pretty hopeless at rooster training
tongue.png
, but I will say that he only got aggressive at about 18 weeks. Up until then he acted very docile like all the other pullets. So, I would suggest picking him up and carrying him around a lot now and just getting him really used to people while he's still young and manageable so he will still be nice when he gets older. Good luck!
smile.png

Thats a shame! I know RIR tend to be a little more on the aggressive side but I've got my fingers crossed for a good boy! My RIR hen can be wicked at times... But since I've got some older hens in the flock, I'm hoping they'll keep him in check until he matures. :) Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom