RIR with sore/tumor on eye

I was wondering if you took a very wet warm folded washcloth and held it to the eye for 15 minutes or so, if it would soften up the tissue enough to try and remove it? Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment may also soften it if the wet compress doesn't help. Do you have a helpful vet that might remove it for you? Has the subcutaneous emphesema (leaked air sac) reabsorded yet? Some people aspirate them with a syringe and small needle.

Probably the only way to know if it's cancer if to have a vet look at it but that's a good $50 or more, you could try treating it for pox if that's less expensive and see what happens.

Newby question but if in fact it is pox, can I treat it and if so how? And the other two chicks she has been around are perfectly fine.

Just keep an eye on it and it should get better on it's own. It's a virus, so there's nothing you can do except make sure they're eating and drinking. I've been putting iodine tincture on mine and it seems to help dry up the scabs, but be careful not to get it in the eyes.

-Kathy

I was wondering if you took a very wet warm folded washcloth and held it to the eye for 15 minutes or so, if it would soften up the tissue enough to try and remove it? Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment may also soften it if the wet compress doesn't help. Do you have a helpful vet that might remove it for you? Has the subcutaneous emphesema (leaked air sac) reabsorded yet? Some people aspirate them with a syringe and small needle.

I will have to try a warm washcloth that sounds like it would help along with the neosporin. The air bubble has gone down quite a bit but is still there, definitely getting better though. I feel like her crop is really far off to her right side though and I don't know if that is normal. We are considering taking her to a vet, as sad as it is though it is just really expensive for a $4 chicken so we are asking some of our 4H friends to take a look at it. Thanks for the help!

So is it alright to leave Bean (that's the name we have given her/him due to the thing on her eye looking like a bean) with the other two RIR's if it is indeed pox? She was with them when the bump first developed and the other two show no signs of pox or whatever this is.

Honestly, if it were me, since there is only one "maybe pox lesion"and they had already been together, I would put them back together again. Others may disagree with me. I kind of agree that it is probably a tumor or cyst.

Last edited:
That is what I figured. I think if they were going to get it too we would already have seen it, which makes me think it is something other than pox.

We soaked it with a warm washcloth, it really did not seem to make much of a difference. It is a pretty hard little bump/tumor thing. However I did think it looked better today, not as moist and puffy as usual instead it seemed more dry and scab like. It is still huge though. Here's Bean out in the yard with her friends today. Starting to think she may very well be a rooster, I mean look at that comb! At only 4 weeks old too! Anyways we will try soaking it again tomorrow and just see how it goes. She/he is still acting perfectly normal, and the air sac rupture is nearly gone at this point.

Back
Top Bottom