RIR?

HerbanChicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Can someone help me here, I took this girl in last week from someone locally who just didn't have the room for her in her tiny coop since she has "illegal chickens" in her HOA restricted subdivision. She's healthy and has been well cared for, but she told me she purchased her from a feed store and was told she was a RIR. She doesn't look like my RIR's that I've owned before, is she a production red? She's got quite a few light feathers on her breast. She's absolutely gorgeous and her personality is great. Also, I was told she's around 4 months or so... I'm thinking she probably purchased her as an older chick 4 months ago vs her being 4 months old, because she is HUGE compared to my 3 1/2 month old pullets. She looks full grown and her comb and wattle look like she may be laying very soon. Any thoughts?
Here she is next to my 3 1/2 month old Australorp (sorry it's sideways!)
And one for fun... playing a little hide and seek... again with the darn sideways :-/

Nice looking girl. She does look like a production red / hatchery RIR, they do tend to mature fast and be good egg layers so she could be 4-5 months old, they often will start laying at 20 weeks or so.

Back
Top Bottom