Rodents in the duckpen!

So the ratters ignore the ducks? I may have missed something, I apologize if I did.
here ya go @Amiga

One of my dogs is OK with the ducks. The other one has a super high prey drive.quoted from post 28
smile.png

I patrol my duck pen and the duck area with my ratters. If they find any vermin they take care of it with a shake of the head.  It's the most humane way I've found to deal with critters.   I do this when the ducks are secure in a foraging pen.  One of my dogs is OK with the ducks. The other one has a super high prey drive.

I didn't adopt them from the shelter to work as ratters.  They were described as chihuahua beagle  (Cheagle) crosses.  What I actually got was two mixed terrier breed feists. That expect and LOVE to work. 

They are very busy keeping the orchards free from voles and field mice. I added the area to their patrol so I could incorporate my two animal loves together.

Outside of using my terriers, the most efficient traps I've found are the electrocuting traps. Death is instant  and does not  harm  the local wildlife, pets etc. We live in an old New England farm house and when it turns cold everything small and verminy outside wants to move inside.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE stories about dogs with jobs! I'm so happy they ended up with someone who supports and appreciates their skills!

Voles
That's what I'm thinking. I looked up the rodent species native to my area and there are a couple voles that look like what I'd been seeing.

Voles are active year round night & day. They produce offspring year round too

Last year I got to watch my girls dig through two feet of snow to get them. The holes actually tunneled through the snow to travel between my bird feeders .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom