Roo or pullet

And yes, they were sold to us as pullets
I would contact the seller - not only are you now in possession of at least two cockerels, but the "Ameraucana" is not a true Ameraucana. I also would be interested in seeing a better shot of the white bird with the largest/ reddest comb.

I would contact the seller - not only are you now in possession of at least two cockerels, but the "Ameraucana" is not a true Ameraucana.   I also would be interested in seeing a better shot of the white bird with the largest/ reddest comb.

Yes, I'm aware it's not a true one. They are all Barnyard mixes. But "she" has the fluffy cheeks, if it's a she. We live in the city limits so we cannot have roos. How long until they start making lots of noise?

I am so sorry this is your introduction into the hobby. I'd like to give the seller the benefit of the doubt and think they just didn't know - maybe new themselves - but I've seen this happen to a lot of folks who were new and didn't know what to look for which made them easy to take advantage of. In the meantime, I would spend some time familiarizing yourself with the breeds you want to keep so that you are better equipped to be your own best advocate as you move through finding your next birds so you can spot the characteristics of the breeds and genders to know you are getting what you think you are getting.

Last edited:

Yeah this is definitely not a good experience. I thought the seller would know and I read about looking for the rounded feathers. The roos that were mixed in the house showed definite signs of roos.

Yeah this is definitely not a good experience. I thought the seller would know and I read about looking for the rounded feathers. The roos that were mixed in the house showed definite signs of roos.

The differences in feathering come with chicken "puberty" - so at about this age is when you start seeing them emerge, prior to that the feathers are the same in structure as pullet chicks. Prior to the emergence of the "Fabio" feathers in the saddle/hackle you can often see early differences in the overall feathering with dark, glossy patches on the wingbows for males vs. a fairly uniform color on the bodies of pullets.

Even at $ 5. the aggravation comes when you try to find homes for roos unless you don't mind them being someone's dinner. I would still let the person know they were mistaken. They should join BYC and educate themselves.

Back
Top Bottom