Roo or pullet

mamastevo

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2016
Wright City, MO

Okay i just picked up all these girls today. They are 5-6 months old and I'm a complete novice to this. Is this big girl a girl?!? I'm getting nervous that she may be a he

Yeah this is definitely not a good experience. I thought the seller would know and I read about looking for the rounded feathers. The roos that were mixed in the house showed definite signs of roos.

The differences in feathering come with chicken "puberty" - so at about this age is when you start seeing them emerge, prior to that the feathers are the same in structure as pullet chicks. Prior to the emergence of the "Fabio" feathers in the saddle/hackle you can often see early differences in the overall feathering with dark, glossy patches on the wingbows for males vs. a fairly uniform color on the bodies of pullets.

Even at $ 5. the aggravation comes when you try to find homes for roos unless you don't mind them being someone's dinner. I would still let the person know they were mistaken. They should join BYC and educate themselves.

I would put them more at about 4 months of age and, yes, that is a cockerel. Notice the advanced coloration of the comb/wattles and the glossy, dark patches in the feathering - as well as the stance? Being a bit younger than estimated also explains why the saddle/hackle feathers have not really come into their male characteristics just yet - but they will be along in the next few weeks.
Hate to say it, but would like to see a better shot of the red bird behind this one as well -- have some suspicions on what can be seen.

Last edited:
I see pointed saddle feathers coming in on his back right in front of his tail and hanging over his sides in the last pic. Sure sign of a roo. A pretty roo though
1f600.png

They were born in November. Just don't know if beginning or end of the month. I counted the months wrong, so 4/5 months is correct. The red one behind it is an ameracauna.I don't have a good picture of it at the moment only a butt shot

Back
Top Bottom