Roo or pullet

mamastevo

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2016
Wright City, MO

Okay i just picked up all these girls today. They are 5-6 months old and I'm a complete novice to this. Is this big girl a girl?!? I'm getting nervous that she may be a he

I would put them more at about 4 months of age and, yes, that is a cockerel. Notice the advanced coloration of the comb/wattles and the glossy, dark patches in the feathering - as well as the stance? Being a bit younger than estimated also explains why the saddle/hackle feathers have not really come into their male characteristics just yet - but they will be along in the next few weeks.
Hate to say it, but would like to see a better shot of the red bird behind this one as well -- have some suspicions on what can be seen.

Last edited:
I see pointed saddle feathers coming in on his back right in front of his tail and hanging over his sides in the last pic. Sure sign of a roo. A pretty roo though
1f600.png

They were born in November. Just don't know if beginning or end of the month. I counted the months wrong, so 4/5 months is correct. The red one behind it is an ameracauna.I don't have a good picture of it at the moment only a butt shot

Back
Top Bottom