Roo or Pullet?

gtourtel

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
I have a Buff Orpington that is about 5 months old I also have 5 pullets not BO. I was told it was a roo when I purchased it. He hasn't started crowing yet when should I expect he to start, or should I change his name from Buddy to Budette.

I have a Buff Orpington that is about 5 months old I also have 5 pullets not BO. I was told it was a roo when I purchased it. He hasn't started crowing yet when should I expect he to start, or should I change his name from Buddy to Budette.
Perhaps you can post a photo of the bird in question?

Saddle feathers are the long skinny feathers that cover where the tail comes out of the body. I've had roos that didn't crow until over 6 months while others were attempting by 2.

Here's a good illustration of the feathers/parts of the body people may reference when speaking about birds:

From extension.org
Does that mean that he will get a real tail? My husband keeps asking where his tail is. He thinks he's funny looking without it. He is our favorite of all he is so friendly my husband holds him and talks to him every night before we put them in to roost.

Yes, he should get a "real" tail - male chicks are often the last to fully feather (which is one of the tell-tale signs you can watch while brooding a batch of chicks - it isn't a definite male/female tell, but it's one of the clues you can piece together for a pretty good guess even early on). Though he looks to be of age where one would expect to see at least some growth back there - any chance you have/had some feather picking issues going on in your flock?

Back
Top Bottom