Is my rooster broken?

Burbgardener

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2023
I have a bantam Colombian Cochin rooster. Got him at the end of April teeny tiny. So he’s roughly 5ish months now. I have yet to hear him crow. Like not even an attempt. 😂 Is he broken? When do roosters crow? I was convinced he’d start a long time ago. He is the only rooster I have. With a nice flock of ladies to keep company.

Also side note, when did your New Hampshires, Lavendar orpingtons and Wyandottes start laying? My Hampshire is 6.5 months, the others are same age as the bantam rooster… a little over 5 months. All my other ladies (leghorn and a few green eggers) started laying at 4.5 months old and have been quite prolific about it (they are 6 months now).

I’ve had cockerels who didn’t crow til around the six month mark. Does he make other noises?

I have a bantam chocolate Orpington who laid fairly early… she’s six months old now. She began laying around or just before 5 months, laid enough to make a clutch, went broody and now has two babies of her own (her eggs weren’t fertile, I got her some that were).

I’ve had cockerels who didn’t crow til around the six month mark. Does he make other noises?

I have a bantam chocolate Orpington who laid fairly early… she’s six months old now. She began laying around or just before 5 months, laid enough to make a clutch, went broody and now has two babies of her own (her eggs weren’t fertile, I got her some that were).
Honestly he doesn’t say much at all. 😂 he will make a noise if I startle him but over all, he’s mostly silent. Not complaining as I live in the suburbs but I was convinced they crow early on. I hope he stays nice to us, he’s so tiny but comes when you call his name and everything. My daughter is nuts about him. 😂

Attachments

• IMG_3369.jpeg
    IMG_3369.jpeg
    338.3 KB · Views: 12
Some roosters crow early, others take their time. I had one little cockerel start crowing at 4 weeks, and another at 7 weeks. The brother of the 7-weeker waited until he was over 4 months old to give it a go. Even then, those two brothers didn't start crowing every morning on the dot though until they were quite a lot older, although my 4-week crower was doing it pretty regularly as soon as he started.

I have a bantam Colombian Cochin rooster. Got him at the end of April teeny tiny. So he’s roughly 5ish months now. I have yet to hear him crow. Like not even an attempt. 😂 Is he broken? When do roosters crow? I was convinced he’d start a long time ago. He is the only rooster I have. With a nice flock of ladies to keep company.

Also side note, when did your New Hampshires, Lavendar orpingtons and Wyandottes start laying? My Hampshire is 6.5 months, the others are same age as the bantam rooster… a little over 5 months. All my other ladies (leghorn and a few green eggers) started laying at 4.5 months old and have been quite prolific about it (they are 6 months now).
My roo started crowing at around 3 months, but it does differ from breed to breed and roo to roo. It'll just take him a while. For cochins, it's 4-5 months, but then again, this is just for regular roos. He must be a late bloomer.

Back
Top Bottom