Roo with very red legs.

littleseed

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2016

He's is about 9 moths old.
He's the boss no other birds are pecking him.
No other birds are affected.
Coop is clean and well ventilated.
Fed quality feed and free ranges all day on 15 acres.
Just started 2 weeks ago.
Seems normal otherwise.
They seem swollen to me but they may just be the redness.
No bumblefoot.
I'm so worried.

It could just be that he's molting. If he doesn't seem like he's in any discomfort I'd just leave him be. If it gets worse I'd mix some epsom salts and water together soak the legs for 5-10 minutes and then rub some coconut oil on them and keep an eye.

He's is about 9 moths old.
He's the boss no other birds are pecking him.
No other birds are affected.
Coop is clean and well ventilated.
Fed quality feed and free ranges all day on 15 acres.
Just started 2 weeks ago.
Seems normal otherwise.
They seem swollen to me but they may just be the redness.
No bumblefoot.
I'm so worried.
Can you show his feet too?

Some of the redness can be hormones. Rooster legs will have red in them when they are sexually mature.

As mentioned above you can soak the feet/legs and apply coconut oil. If you have no oil, a+d ointment or vaseline will work too.

well it looks like it's something called scaly leg mites the vet said. We dusted the entire coop with diatomaceous earth and have to treat every one of the chickens we have about 40. We have to give each of their legs and oil at night and then the ones who have it bad meaning that we can see some scales lifting up or redness in the legs we have to coat those legs in Vaseline after dipping them in oil. This is a lot of work. It is totally worth it I love the birds but what a fiasco!

Last edited:
well it looks like it's something called scaly leg mites the vet said. We dusted the entire coop with diatomaceous earth and have to treat every one of the chickens we have about 40. We have to give each of their legs and oil at night and then the ones who have it bad meaning that we can see some scales lifting up or redness in the legs we have to coat those legs in Vaseline after dipping them in oil. This is a lot of work. It is totally worth it I love the birds but what a fiasco!
That will be a lot of chickens to treat!
The vaseline/oils should smother the mites, you may have to repeat application several times.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/03/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens.html
http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2015/04/natural-treatment-for-scaly-leg-mites.html

I know. I've enlisted the help.of some wonderful friends
Vet said 2x the 1st week then once a week for 12 weeks to really clear it up.

I know. I've enlisted the help.of some wonderful friends
Vet said 2x the 1st week then once a week for 12 weeks to really clear it up. We are all glad to help
smile.png

Of course a vet is your best course of action, sound like you have one willing to treat and has avian knowledge as well, that's great!.

Back
Top Bottom