Roof on run

Kmath

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2015
Canada
I built an 8x8 fully fenced run( bottom sides and top) Should I also put a roof on to shield from rain? Or will the chickens just stay inside all day in the rain?

some of my runs are roofed.it makes it so nice in the cold winter months.keeps them dry.and we wrap the sides for winter in heavy plastic.than I toss in some straw and dry leaves.my girls spend most of their time in that run on cold and rainy days.toss in a handful of scratch and they are in chicken heaven..

If you don't know, it isn't a terrible question.
Scratch = scratch grains. A treat consisting of cracked corn, wheat, milo or whatever is available and cheap at the time the mill fills the bag.
Chickens love to scratch the ground for seeds and bugs. Scratch satisfies some of their needs. That said, scratch is normally pretty low in some essential nutrients and should be kept to about 5% of the total intake.

You should roof at least part of it. The chickens won't stay out of the rain and then they'll track mud into the nest boxes.
Also, you don't want to have to shovel snow out of the run, unless you just want to top the snow with straw every time you get some.

Ok I'll do that. This coop and run is only temporarily. Building a larger one to hold 30 hens in a couple months. Looking at this kind of design.

some of my runs are roofed.it makes it so nice in the cold winter months.keeps them dry.and we wrap the sides for winter in heavy plastic.than I toss in some straw and dry leaves.my girls spend most of their time in that run on cold and rainy days.toss in a handful of scratch and they are in chicken heaven..
Terrible question I'm sure... But.. What is scratch??

Thanks for informing me on the scratch. We decided to cover most our run. We are starting to build the main coop and run. Looking at 12x12 coop and 16x12 run.

Back
Top Bottom