Rooster again, blood everywhere..

Estes

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 15, 2009
My roosters have been together since the hatchery. They're meat chickens. Everything had been fine until yesterday. He was bleeding bad on fleshy part of face, and now he's bleeding worse. He was attacked again. After I broughthim inside for awhile I let him back loose for a bit in with my 6 others. I watched for a bit and came back in about 15 minutes and a lump that all of my roosters have beow the ear was hanging, and still is. He is in a very small cage, best Ive got, he's laying down, I gave hm food and water and the blood is dripping bad.

Place firm pressure on the bleeding wound for couple of minutes to stop the bleeding.
I am sure someone will be along soon to provide help.

The problem is, once there is blood, the chickens will continue to peck. Holding pressure on the wattle should make it stop bleeding, but you have to hold it long enough for it to clot off. Keeping him quiet in the dark overnight will help to keep him from reopening it while it finishes clotting. You will have to keep him separated until there is no more fresh blood or bloodiy areas, and probably clean off any blood on his feathers, even if it means a bath. It may take several days. They bleed alot, but they also heal fast. Keep an eye on it for infection, but they usually do ok.

Back
Top Bottom