Rooster and my Chicks

Timbochicken

Hatching
Mar 25, 2017
Hello. I have a full grown rooster I have had for a couple of years now. He us the last survivor of my previous flock. I got 5 new chicks today. I have them in a cage and I need some where to keep them during the day so they are not in a hot building all day. Do you think if I put the cage in the coop with the rooster they will be safe? I know the rooster would probably hurt them outside the cage so I wanted to leave them in. What do by all think?

I am able to place mature roosters with chicks without issue. Still take care to watch interaction at first to make certain he does not act aggressively. If chicks penned, then even less worry. Last fall I introduced even cockerels in with chicks and juveniles with very little discord. Just watch at first.

Every rooster is different. Some will actually care for chicks, and others will try to kill them. They should be okay through a fence as long as none can squeeze through.

As the chicks get a bit older you could try supervised mingling to see his reaction. The chicks should be able to avoid him by 6-12 weeks of age.

I am able to place mature roosters with chicks without issue. Still take care to watch interaction at first to make certain he does not act aggressively. If chicks penned, then even less worry. Last fall I introduced even cockerels in with chicks and juveniles with very little discord. Just watch at first.

X2 Any animal introductions should be monitored but I was pleasantly surprised when I started letting small chicks outside their grow out pen. My coops and runs are in a row and when they went into the main run checking out the feeder the hens chased them away and pecked at them while the rooster soon had everything under control.

Back
Top Bottom