Rooster apartments.

amandajo

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2017
I will have three rooster. A light brahma. Silver laced Wyandotte and (I think) a buckeye. I have a large coop for my hens which they go in and out and free range. I was thinking of making a separate enclosed run to keep my rooster separate except for when I want hatchlings. And this way I can know whose breeding what. Such as my Wyandotte hens to my.rooster and my brahma hens to my brahma rooster. In my mind I have pictures three separate small coops/hutches that open up to a giant "bachelor" pen. Has anyone done anything like this or how do I get three boys to play nice with each other. Is it best to give them all these own areas? I have i think the count is up to 30 hens so I have plenty of girls to go around. I have 7 Wyandotte hens(silver and golden laced) and 6 brahma hens. My others are assorted with barred rocks white leg horns Easter eggers jersey giants and some little ones whose breed is yet to be determined....

I would like to also hear other opinions on this. I have a small coop that I keep roos in til they start fussing then I trade them out with a local guy in my area that gives 2 chicks per roo. That is only for the roos I do not intend to keep tho. The roos I keep are in the coops with the hens of their kind.

This is my coop for my girls. Plenty of room for the ladies but I'm worried when I add boys it will be a bit crowded.

I'm thinking about having something like this that is attached to a big fenced in area so if my boys don't get along I can have some locked in and alternate turn out days. And then my hens that I want need can be out in the fenced in area with the rooster of choice when I wanna hatch some babies....

Back
Top Bottom