Rooster Attacking

Definitely agree. I was just hoping possibly a bit hormonal and his first spring with hens (in New Zealand) he hasn’t connected with me yet but he fluffs up and flies as to threaten me. He did connect with my parents though.

I wouldn't put up with a bird hurting my family members unless it were intentionally provoked.

I wouldn't put up with a bird hurting my family members unless it were intentionally provoked.
Which I won’t. I have younger cockerels that will be more deserving of a place here, but they (parents) also really like this rooster so thought I’d see if there was a chance to break the behaviour. He will be gone if it cant.

There are so many excellent roosters who are butchered because they are unwanted that there's very little reason to put a lot of time and effort into "taming" an aggressive male. Especially when aggression is very often a heritable trait.
I'm curious, how do you try to keep a rooster from being a jerk as he grows up? We've got a 4-week old australorp who is just the coolest bird. He's gentle when I offer treats with my hand, will call the other chicks over and then start eating once they find the treats, but he's bullied by one of our psycho pullets, 2 weeks older than him. I'm trying to get her to the coop ASAP, as he still has a good amount of down to shed. But I'm curious if offering treats by hand and letting him perch on me and get chin/neck scratches is really doing more harm than good? I'd love to keep him, but only if he's respectful and not an idiot.

I'm curious, how do you try to keep a rooster from being a jerk as he grows up? We've got a 4-week old australorp who is just the coolest bird. He's gentle when I offer treats with my hand, will call the other chicks over and then start eating once they find the treats, but he's bullied by one of our psycho pullets, 2 weeks older than him. I'm trying to get her to the coop ASAP, as he still has a good amount of down to shed. But I'm curious if offering treats by hand and letting him perch on me and get chin/neck scratches is really doing more harm than good? I'd love to keep him, but only if he's respectful and not an idiot.

There's a lot of pure luck involved -- getting a bird with the right genetics, etc.

But the thing is to maintain the boys' respect for you. They should get out of your way and not think of you as part of the flock to either be put under his discipline or to be challenged for flock leadership.

Hi all!
I have an 8 month old Barred Rock Rooster who has been great up until this weekend… We went away and I had my parents come and look after the animals.
He was attacking them when they let him out of the coop in the mornings and would threaten if they went into the runs to feed.
Since I’ve been back he hasn’t done anything with me, has been completely normal.
He has met them numerous times as they have house sat quite a bit, so any ideas as to why he would do this with someone else and not me?
You are part of his tribe, your parents are not. It's that simple.
If you have to have your chickens babysat again work out a system that ensures that the baby sitter doesn't enter the coop or run.

Give it a try, but I would be quite surprised if this worked. Once they start, and keep on, it is very hard to turn that aggression off.
I have roos "dropped " at my place ALOT. THIS DOES WORK! But one MUST Be consistent and this must be done multiple times a day..calling to give treats and then snatching him up..then giving his treats. I have the time and don't mind rehabilitating..but again i will be the first to cull him if he continues or after a week still "shows aggression" when my back is turned..to màny good roos to fight a fool🤪

I have roos "dropped " at my place ALOT. THIS DOES WORK! But one MUST Be consistent and this must be done multiple times a day..calling to give treats and then snatching him up..then giving his treats. I have the time and don't mind rehabilitating..but again i will be the first to cull him if he continues or after a week still "shows aggression" when my back is turned..to màny good roos to fight a fool🤪
Luckily I haven’t had any more run ins with him, he moves well out of anyones way now. Potentially just have a bad week…. Lol. But if it does arise again I’ll be sure to cull him. I definitely know there are too many good boys out there!! ;)

Back
Top Bottom