Rooster being picked on

Setup a run ASAP! Crowded chickens quickly turn aggressive and can end up killing each other, they get so desperate for space.

We have an outside area that we let them into in the summer but it gets to -30 to -40 somedays where I am and I do not want them outside

This is the only picture we have of him so far. That is his neck. He's over a year old and came with the 8 other chickens we purchased so he isn't new to them
Only the 9 we had previous to the next bunch. He was very health when we first got him and we've had him
For approximately a month now. My guess is if they wouldn't have accepted him they would have from the beginning and not just now

Poor thing

Then reduce flock size or build a bigger coop. They are in much too small a space.

X2 They definitely need more space. Any way you can let them out weekends when you are home or even increase run space? Also give them diversions to keep their minds busy, chairs or saw horses or tree branched they can hop on. Flock block to peck at, hang cabbages or squash or other vegetables they can peck at or eat, alfalfa cubes, etc. Anything to keep them busy.

X2  They definitely need more space.  Any way you can let them out weekends when you are home or even increase run space?  Also give them diversions to keep their minds busy, chairs or saw horses or tree branched they can hop on.  Flock block to peck at, hang cabbages or squash or other vegetables they can peck at or eat, alfalfa cubes, etc.  Anything to keep them busy.

We do hang apples for them to peck at. We don't have any issues with them pecking other hens. Only picking on the rooster.

Isolate bird in question for two weeks. Look for his voice to deepen and in general to act more like a rooster. Regardless of number of birds in the area available, the rooster, if he is fit, should be the dominant bird in the flock. Look for signs of visual impairment. If you feel comfortable doing so, then use scissors to cut of the top of feathers so he can see better.

Also, if he's already at the bottom of the pecking order how would taking him out and putting him back in change anything. I thought I would have to take a dominant ones out so the pecking order would rework itself

It sounds to me like he is not yet a man. Chickens only respect power or authority. Put one or two hens (or pullets) in the isolation pen with him so he can maybe get his grove on with a hen or two. In 60 day he will be like a totally different rooster.

If he is not dispatch him with all haste because he is either suffering from a systematic (meaning incurable) disease or else someone sold you a defective rooster.

Diversity is not something that chickens do well. How many different breeds, or types of chickens do you have in the pen with this bird and is he a bantam?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom