Rooster being picked on

You Don't always need a dedicated run. once Your birds are used to a particular roost they will return to lay eggs and roost. I'm Not sure your living situation but if you could even let them run the yard for half a day it would greatly improve their attitudes or even full days on the weekends. Your Rooster won't get picked on if the hens have new grass to scratch and bids to Chase

It depends entirely with breed and even bloodlines within that breed. mature healthy Birds. hens and roosters. Will Have bright red on their faces in their combs and wattles. keep an eye on the red not so much the size. I would say most breeds start getting red around 5/6 months. some Earlier some later

May I ask how big your coop and run are with how many chickens you have? If our coop is 80 square feet and we only have 17 birds, then they each have a bit of extra space.
We physically can not put a run where we are living right now as it is WINTER with lots of snow and freezing cold weather. I am not to sure where you are but your weather must not be as cold as here. No one in our town who owns chickens lets them out in the winter.

My coop is 8 by 10. They have a 400 sq ft run, in addition to an acre to free range on. 18 adults and 2 cockerels that are 8 weeks. The little boys are only here till they are big enough for processing. They always have the choice to go outside if they want to. Somedays the weather is too wet and windy and they stay in. Most days, even when it's less than ideal, they go out.
Your birds need more space or you need to get rid of most of them. The longer you wait, the worse the aggression problems will be. And behavioral issues that are caused by overcrowding stress are incredibly difficult to put a stop to, even after ample space is provided.

We looked at the rooster tonight and put a stop peck remedy on him which we got from our vet, and his behaviour is normal - walking, eating, drinking, pecking for scratch etc... The only thing that is strange is that he hides all day. We noticed that on his legs, his "spears" for defence have not come in. There are little nubs for where they are but no nails have come out yet. Any idea on how old he could be?

Back
Top Bottom