rooster collars??

insanity

Songster
7 Years
Jan 17, 2013
Northwest Wy
Someone posted about using a constrictive collar to reduce crowing/volume. Does anyone know about these or were I might find one?

Thanks

Ah!! I have much (recent) experience with regards to rooster collars.

There's another thread about them, here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/820771/sound-of-silence-6am-no-more-crowing

About 3 weeks ago, I wanted to look into the rooster collar thing. I have 2 roos, a golden sebright and a mille fleur d'uccle; both bantams. They were crowing quite regularly for extended amounts of time, and between the two of them it became a crowing war, whoever crowed last wins.
After seeing the above mentioned forum, I contacted the "rooster collar" maker on facebook, as well as via email; no response at all. I made a trip to the local fabric store and bought some velcro, and sewed + glued it together to make my own rooster collars; total price was less than $4.
I waited until thew crowed before putting on my collars, so if nothing else it could be viewed as a punishment of sorts.
The louder of the two, the sebright, would crow A LOT, he got the collar first. After securing it, and making sure he could breathe well, etc., I let him go, and he spent the good part of an hour trying to "back out" of it. Eventually he was content, he ate, drank, talked, as normal. But when he eventually tried to crow, he just made gargly sounds. He hasn't tried again since, when the collar is on.

My second roo, my mille fleur, eventually got the collar when he started crowing too. He didn't try backing up, instead he kept scratching at it with his foot. Eventually he tried crowing while wearing it, too. He was much more successful; his sounded as an audible crow, but less projective and powerful than normal, and the end of the crow was gargly. He has crowed 1-2 times at a times while wearing the collar before quitting.

Now, three weeks later, I still use my collars, but mostly as a punishment tool. The crowing overall has gone down at least 75%; on the worst days they will crow twice each. If they crow once, collar goes on. Collar goes off after a few hours of silence. I've gone many days with no crowing at all, without using collars, since then. But they still will crow once in a while and I still use the collar to keep consistent with my "punishment", lest is get worse. I have family that visits a few times a week, and since using my collars, they exclaim at how there's no crowing like before, and how peaceful and quiet it is.

Hope my experience is helpful to some.

Wow, what a shame to silence the roosters. I love the crowing.
We are soon moving from our 31 acres in CT to 6 acres in FL. I sure hope we have no complaints! But if so, I will keep this method in mind. I love my roosters and would hate to give them up.
Backyard keepers in suburbs need things like this just to be able to consider roos. Sad, but that's just how it is.

I am training my rooster not to crow, so far its not even a week & we already have good results.

Its been taking a lot of time & I've had to really persevere so far, mind.
he.gif

My tactic is, every time he crows more than twice, I catch him, tap him on the beak and tell him "Bad Peter! Quiet!" & then remove him from his ladies. Either I bring him indoors or tie him to the "Naughty Rooster Post" for a bit. Sometimes he needs scolding 2 - 3 times until he finally gets the message, but that's happening less & less often. This is a year old Rooster & my first time training any sort of bird.
pop.gif

Originally, he was crowing a lot, all day, everyday. Now he only crows once or twice a day. In less than a week.

When he is being very quiet I say "Good Boy Peter, quiet, Good Boy!" In a pleased tone & give him lots of fuss as I would with our dogs. Sometimes he will get a treat,
D.gif

When he does crow now, its only if I'm not nearby, he seems to think I can't hear him at a distance, but boy does he get a shock when I catch him & tell him off. He tries to avoid being caught, but I always make sure he can't get away with the behavior.
caf.gif

The way I see it is it may be natural for roosters to crow, but its also natural for dogs to bark / howl & if you can train a dog to be quiet, then you can train a rooster to be quiet. If I didn't have close on - the - other - side - of - the - fence - neighbors then I wouldn't care about his crowing, but sadly I live in a town.
hide.gif
hide.gif

I might state though that our rooster is a bit of an oddball, he sleeps in the dog bed with a Rottweiler & a staffy & he also searches out a warm lap to sit on if there is one available. We have never had any problems with aggression with him,

At night he sleeps under the stairs where its dark & cool in a pet carrier & doesn't crow at all of a morning. Otherwise, If I want waking up, I'll leave him out overnight & he'll crow on the other side of the bedroom door at 9:10AM of a morning (DH swears he has an alarm clock stuffed down his throat, or if he hasn't then he will have one down there soon!) & get me up. I'm trying to teach him that "Quiet" means QUIET. Once I've given that command, I don't take any messing about from him with noise.
tongue.gif

He is quite funny when he gets caught & picked up, his head will stretch out over my shoulder & stare back at the hens as I carry him reluctantly back into the house.

DH described the look in his eyes as " Oh, no! She's got me again, Nooooooooo!"

Poor Peter,
roll.png
if only he knew what a £2000 noise disturbance fine is.......

Daryl my Splash bantam roo behaves normally except it does annoy him when the girls "don't listen". His air alarm call for birds of prey is to quiet so the girls ignore him.Also I can see him calling them over when I feed treats but no noise at all. After six months with Daryl I am quite happy with him.
He was altered by Dr.James (Bluedogsonly on BYC) out of Oklahoma. I believe they cut the voice box to lessen the volume. He can explain it better. Here is the his web page.

http://quietroosters.wordpress.com/

I was wonder about the collars because I want to start a SFH flock and shipping a particular breed of bird to Dr James to have it done cost more than I'm willing to pay.(close to $500 with vet checks and shipping both ways) Daryl was one he had already done and was selling and was only $200. I probably will get an EE from him in the spring as a backup just in case.
Actually, chickens don't have a voice box, and glue is not used at all in the procedure. I asked my vet about it because I have mostly roosters as I run a rescue and they are no longer allowed in the city of New Orleans. My vet, Dr. Gregory Rich, is very well known and he explained the procedure to me and told me he would not perform it. The chicken is put under anesthesia and formaldehyde is dripped into the bird's throat and it BURNS the vocal cords, in turn damaging them permanently. It's a very risky and inhumane procedure, as it does interfere with the roosters ability to communicate normally with his flock.

I am going to order a few of the no crow collars and try them out on my boys.

Someone posted about using a constrictive collar to reduce crowing/volume. Does anyone know about these or were I might find one?

Thanks

I got mine from a lady in NSW Australia and she calls them "Cockadoodledon'ts" and they are much nicer than the American "No Crow" brand out there. A lot softer on the bird and my boy has no problems at all and has been wearing it for 3 months now. Even took it off today to see if he crows anymore and he was quiet, but I don't want to risk him once in the morning just yet. I haven't had any luck with already well established crowers but I tackled mine the very second day he started crowing so I think he was successful because of when I introduced it.

They do work and the rooster does not at all struggle with it on. No panting, no gasps and I can easily fit my finger between his neck and the collar. It's only cruel if you don't put it on correctly I think. And the fertility is fine, get 2 out of 3 red spots in my breakfast every morning.

We were out on the porch a couple of weeks ago watching your video as we too have a roo (sultan) we cannot bare to give up.
When all of a sudden his mate, Mrs. Rooster jumped up and joined us.She enjoyed your video very much lol...She said she thinks your rooster is very handsome!
Watch
BTW, Mrs. Rooster had just had her bath and looks a bit shotty in her debut video
0.jpg

Oh yes it was to on there earlier today because me and my husband watched it in disbelief and it popped up after I pressed on the FAQs button !! Now I just went back to the site and it was not there. So I do not know what happened to it. But I will tell you one thing - I do not appreciate being called a liar - which is what you were insinuating.

There is no video of cock fighting on No Crow's website. You are mistaken. On their FAQ page they have an embedded YouTube video. You can view the video and once the video has ended, a random selection of other videos appears. No Crow has no control over what videos randomly appear once theirs is viewed--that is completely controlled by YouTube. The random videos that appear are from different YouTube accounts and the selection is different every time. They are NOT No Crow videos. That is how you came to see a video about cock fighting as it is exactly what happened when I viewed the video on their site.

Last edited:
We are all animal lovers here. We are on this thread to try to solve a problem in the best way we can. Personally I would hesitate to share an opinion on a topic while also confessing I don't actually have any practical experience or knowledge of the topic.

I posted a youtube video of my self-made rooster collar here: http://backyardboogi.com/news.html

I'm using a 2" wide velcro stip and it works. You can see the rooster's muffled crow in the video. He is used to the collar and it doesn't prevent him from doing all his other duties :)

My tips would be: Make sure it is at least 2" wide as it gives the collar the structural strength while keeping sure that the animal is not strangled. Narrow bands may collapse the air duct, which makes for a very unhappy rooster. Use industrial strength velcro as it stays snug and won't expand over time. Start loose and tighten it as he gets used to it. You can literally adjust the volume on the crowing as you tighten. Again, by using a wide band I found it to be very safe to tighten (no struggling for air - which I witnessed at first when i used a narrower rubber band).

s.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom