Rooster-friendly port-style feeder

Had to make a modification to my wooden feeder cover. My chickens would only eat from it in the middle of the day which is not really when I need them to use it; they just nibble since they usually also have other things to forage on then. Apparently it was too dark! When the feeder is full up, there wasn't enough light coming in at dawn and dusk for them to be willing to eat from it. So...drill, jigsaw, and a piece of plastic (acrylic I think?) to make a window while still keeping rain/snow out of the back.

IMG_20220614_143420sm.jpg

IMG_20220614_143427sm.jpg

IMG_20220614_143852sm.jpg

Hopefully this gets them eating from it in the morning and evening when they really want to chow down.

Nice!
But we have standard sized chickens and bantams, who would just have to jump into this feeder. How about youngsters? Same problem?
Mary
Oh this design definitely wouldn't work for chicks, at least not with the dimensions I used. My smallest hen is sort of at the upper end of the size range for bantams; she is half the weight of my others. She can get her head in to eat just fine even when the feed level is low, but a smaller chicken would need something to stand on and/or a shallower container. My strange little hen could probably also sit in it if she really wanted, but thankfully hasn't shown any inclination to do that so far. My main feed challenges have just been spills and dirt/debris being kicked into feeders, and it has pretty much solved those two things.

Think it
My rooster has his own bucket feeder. I used a 4 inch pvc street drain on his. You search for the no waste feeder on here that's how I built my feeders. The hens use the 3 inch ones just fine but like you my rooster wouldn't because his comb was too big. If I ever have to remake any of them I'm just gonna use 4 inch for

I would use PVC pipe. You can find some 4" ones for sure.
Do you think it will work for my guy? I just made a new feeder, and Foghorn Leghorn does not seem to be able to use it. I did not think about his majestic comb when i ordered the parts. See pics. The hens were very happy with it.

Attachments

• 20220619_191108.jpg
    20220619_191108.jpg
    648.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220619_190923.jpg
    20220619_190923.jpg
    524.4 KB · Views: 9
Think it

Do you think it will work for my guy? I just made a new feeder, and Foghorn Leghorn does not seem to be able to use it. I did not think about his majestic comb when i ordered the parts. See pics. The hens were very happy with it.
What did you end up doing for your rooster? Were you able to find a port style feeder that works for his large comb and wattles? I'm searching for something.

Back
Top Bottom