Rooster Help - Aggressive or Just Learning

He’s been great! I know they mature slow, but he is so good with the girls.

We could probably put a divider back up and keep the cockerels on one side and all the girls on the other.

I could also just let him out with the hens and see if that helps. I’m willing to try if we think there is a chance it’s just his hormones making him act like this. It was just so sad seeing Leslie limp. The other one ran right to me too, and they are not “lap” chickens like the lavenders. They would prefer we keep our distance so I know they are stressed. They barely have full crops at night. I have to feed them separate.
I’m all for trying to rehabilitate a bird if appropriate. But, from all your posts here what I think I’m hearing is apprehension and hesitancy from you.

I think the easy answer is the right one. Let the EE go to a new home with a mature flock who can teach him manners.

Let the brahama, who you said has been great thus far, give it a shot. And hope he keeps acting right.

Edit - If you start having trouble with the brahama, at least it’s only one bird you have to worry about segregating. I also think chicken timeout is more effective if he doesn’t have a buddy with him.

Thank you, Mary.

We have 3 feeders and 3 waters in a 8x8x16 run with a 4x6x6 coop, but only 2 chicks sleep in there. Free-range during the day.

We have 4 acres but they all cruise around the immediate 1-2 acres and have their favorite 2-3 spots.

I’m opening to trying to separate him and see if that helps, but soon as I saw her limp, I was like I don’t think this is good behavior. He also pigs out before them. Not a chivalrous boy at all.
All of his instincts havent kicked in yet....

Showing already this kind of rather antisocial attitude does not leave much hope for when his hormones really begin to rage.

The pullet ran to you as highest ranking person for help and protection, don't submit them to his aggressive behaviour any longer, not now nor later.

Find him a new home with an adult flock or cull.

I wouldn't keep him in there for weeks but it would work for a time til you could put up a bigger divider space for him. Do you have a run you could put up a quick wall of fencing up? Even if you kept one end loose to hinge open to act as the door also. A couple 'S' hooks latches it closed. Quick and temporary.
Yes! We do! That’s how we kept all 7 separate from the big girls when introducing. Thank you!

Showing already this kind of rather antisocial attitude does not leave much hope for when his hormones really begin to rage.

The pullet ran to you as highest ranking person for help and protection, don't submit them to his aggressive behaviour any longer, not now nor later.

Find him a new home with an adult flock or cull.
I think you are right. I’ve never had roosters before, but this seemed too aggressive.

Thank you for all your help.

So there could be a chance for him? I’m just unsure where we would keep him away from the pullets. Which could be a deal breaker for Derek. 😢

He is good at keeping them in line, but I haven’t seen him lead them to food. He pigs out first.

Thank you! First time with cockerel/roo so this is all really helpful!
Everything he's doing is normal, if your able to hang on to him as he turns a year old. He will stop doing those behaviors. It's what juvenile birds do.

But if you think he's too aggressive and your birds don't free range just keep him out of the run during the day.

Everything he's doing is normal, if your able to hang on to him as he turns a year old. He will stop doing those behaviors. It's what juvenile birds do.
They do free range and that’s when he gets into trouble. He chases them down and pins them. He won’t stop. When they are in the run, he’s fine because he’s so scared of the big girls. They stay up on the roost bars to avoid the bigger girls.

The other Brahma will go down though and get food. He’s less skittish of the bigger girls.

I’ve never had Roos before so it’s hard for me to judge what’s normal and not, but what he did to the white chicken was just brutal. Which I expected some behavior as he works out the kinks, but this seemed like too much.

Well learning there behaviors helps to understand what it takes to prevent problems and discovering solutions can resolve momentary incidents.

That's what I did for my first cockerel and 3 years later he's been a model of a well behave rooster. He also teaches my other cockerels that have lived in my flock through the years to curve there tendencies.

Well learning there behaviors helps to understand what it takes to prevent problems and discovering solutions can resolve momentary incidents.

That's what I did for my first cockerel and 3 years later he's been a model of a well behave rooster. He also teaches my other cockerels that have lived in my flock through the years to curve there tendencies.
I knew some aggression would be expected - that’s his role and to protect, but this seems like too much. And with a back up Brahma who is not exhibiting bad behavior shows a more docile roo. Potentially. I’m happy to try and rehab and hope that he becomes like your model roo!

Your getting lots of good advise. No matter which way you decide the most important is keeping the pullets safe. Always do whats best for the flock.
He's a raging teenager so that's where his brain is. He may get better or not. How long you want to deal with it and your space will tell you how to decide.... you've got the space/acreage. How about if he starts showing good things soon you set up 2 flocks.... just a thought.

I have 4 flocks. Thinking about a 5th... Lol what a pain but I make it work and I love my boys.

Back
Top Bottom