Rooster- Impacted Nare

FarmGirlErin

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2022
Our silkie rooster (8 yo) has had an enlarged nare for a while. Today, I was gently cleaning his nare with a pointed cotton swab and I noticed what I thought was the skin in his nare move. Like something was lodged in his nare. Then I opened his mouth and saw something in his choanal slit. It is yellowish, but looks rubbery and soft, maybe biological. It honestly reminds me of a tonsil stone. There doesn't seem to be any infection and he doesn't seem bothered by it, seems to breathe adequately through his nares, not his mouth.
Does anyone have any experience with growths in the sinuses or do you think this is something lodged in the choanal slit? Let me know your thoughts! I'm tempted to try a removal.
Thanks chicken people!

Sorry the second picture is blurry! I will try to get a better one.

Attachments

• 20220830_111154.jpg
    20220830_111154.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220830_111309.jpg
    20220830_111309.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 4
Has he had any symptoms of a respiratory disease or fowl pox? How does it smell? The yellow looks like solid pus, but canker can be an infection inside the beak. Wet fowl pox can also cause yellow plaques inside the beak. But since it seems connected to the nostril, I would try cleaning out the nostril a little at a time. An avian vet might be of assistance. You can try applying a drop or two of hydrogen peroxide to the nostril with a QTip. Let it fizz a bit, and with a wooden toothpick try to gently pick out any of the material, but take care not to damage the outer part of the nostril. This may take a couple of sessions. You might also try to remove some of the yellow material from the roof of the beak which is connected to the sinus. Dried feed plus mucus plus dirt can form a concrete-like substance in the nostrils.

@Eggcessive

He has had no symtoms of illness or injury. Like I said, he's 8 years old and is very spirited and spry. The peroxide was a great idea! I got a ton of stuff out of his nares and he definitely seems to be breathing more freely. But the large area didn't move. I cleaned his nares thoroughly with peroxide two days but the large area in his nare is still present and I'm sure it's part of his flesh now. The yellow thing in his choanal slit also started to bleed a little so its obvs some kind of growth as well because it has a blood supply. I'll add pictures during and after cleaning.

Attachments

• 20220911_130705.jpg
    20220911_130705.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220911_130728.jpg
    20220911_130728.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220911_131529.jpg
    20220911_131529.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 4
Has there been a bad odor from the nostril or beak? If the material is dried food and secretions, it may need to be cleaned regularly. If it is canker, it might respond to Aqua Zole (fish zole, metronidazole.) Yellow usually means infection of some sort. You may need to try and find a vet who might look at a sample under a microscope for you. That is the best way to diagnose.

Back
Top Bottom