Rooster Allergic rxn? stridor

NorthwoodsChick

Fowl play will 🐝 encouraged 🐥🐔
Premium Feather Member
May 16, 2021
UP Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I heard a chicken ‘yelp’, went outside and my rooster is in respiratory distress with stridor, gurgling and high pitched cough- like a small dog yapping- shaking head while cough. comb purple—looked panicked.
Mouth clear, no swelling of face or tongue, no foreign body in throat. I popped in a 1/4 benadryl tab…all I could think of in case of allergic rxn —and VetRx to comb and nares, and kept him quiet on my lap.
It’s been 2 hours. He’s isolated in my basement- but still with inspiratory wheezes, worse when he gets excited but no more stridor. Comb now red but gets dusky when excited or disturbed.

He was 100% fine 30 minutes prior- I was out with the flock and he was there foraging, crowing loud and clear. He has not been sick. I thought he might have gotten stung by yellow jackets or maybe ate one?? There’s an underground nest in the bushes where the hens were earlier.
He is not likely to eat something when out with hens- he gives it up to them but can’t rule out something getting in the trachea.

He won’t drink water on his own. I droppered a tiny amt to moisten his tonge and he did ok- he’s not drooling.
Will it be ok to re-dose benadryl in the morning? If he’s still wheezing should give Tylosyn? Not sure of dose— Spatch is 6 lbs. Oral or IM?

I already lost two hens last week (egg peritonitis and mystery GI but not respiratory. I can’t lose my Spatch, too.
What am I missing here?
I am open to any and all suggestions at this point.

I heard a chicken ‘yelp’, went outside and my rooster is in respiratory distress with stridor, gurgling and high pitched cough- like a small dog yapping- shaking head while cough. comb purple—looked panicked.
Mouth clear, no swelling of face or tongue, no foreign body in throat. I popped in a 1/4 benadryl tab…all I could think of in case of allergic rxn —and VetRx to comb and nares, and kept him quiet on my lap.
It’s been 2 hours. He’s isolated in my basement- but still with inspiratory wheezes, worse when he gets excited but no more stridor. Comb now red but gets dusky when excited or disturbed.

He was 100% fine 30 minutes prior- I was out with the flock and he was there foraging, crowing loud and clear. He has not been sick. I thought he might have gotten stung by yellow jackets or maybe ate one?? There’s an underground nest in the bushes where the hens were earlier.
He is not likely to eat something when out with hens- he gives it up to them but can’t rule out something getting in the trachea.

He won’t drink water on his own. I droppered a tiny amt to moisten his tonge and he did ok- he’s not drooling.
Will it be ok to re-dose benadryl in the morning? If he’s still wheezing should give Tylosyn? Not sure of dose— Spatch is 6 lbs. Oral or IM?

I already lost two hens last week (egg peritonitis and mystery GI but not respiratory. I can’t lose my Spatch, too.
What am I missing here?
Following. Hen with similar symptoms. Rubbed VetRX on head and under wings and 2 to 3 drops in mouth and on beak. Isolated. Added nutridrench to all the chickens waterers. May make a green tea egg yolk slurry and put some dried rosemary branches from last year in her crate tomorrow if she's still weak.

What am I missing here?
So just an update on Darlene the wheezer! Last night I took some dried herbs including oregano, rosemary, and lavender from last years harvest and cut her some fresh peppermint and put it in her crate while everyone was sleeping hoping it would help with her breathing open her airways and for stress. Checked on her this morning and she's almost completely better other than some spittle around her beak. I did not make the yolk slurry as it didn't seem necessary. She'd demolished all the herbs except the rosemary it looked like she'd just played with and kicked around. I've still got her in quarantine and plan to give her another dose of VetRX later this afternoon just to be safe. But she's turned the corner!

Spatch survived the night. Still wheezing but not nearly as bad. I decided to treat as if pneumonia. I managed to slowly get 1.5 ml Tylosin 50 down orally but he did not tolerate that well so gave the remainder IM.
I re-dosed benadryl. By mid morning he was audibly much better, comb nice and red, and he was standing alert. (Praise God) This afternoon I mixed Tylosin in loose mash and he ate with vigor (another praise God). Still musical wheezing some. I’m keeping him indoors for another 24-36 hours. I’m not sure how many days of antibiotics but if it’s similar to human medicine 5 days for macrolides is typical. Any one have an opinion on that?

And, should I emperically treat the entire flock for respiratory illness with Tylosin?
@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

I had a goose eat a little wasp once and he had the same type of symptoms. I just gave some meloxicam morning and evening to help with pain and he was better by morning. He wouldn't stop flinging his head and wheezing either. But you could see the swelling in his mouth. He had eaten one off his water bucket I'm pretty sure.
With yours being that sudden that's what I would guess. Mine was sudden too.

It was confirmed when I put him back the next day and he saw one of the wasp things, he hissed at it and shooed it away. :lol:

Last edited:
I had a goose eat a little wasp once and he had the same type of symptoms. I just gave some meloxicam morning and evening to help with pain and he was better by morning. He wouldn't stop flinging his head and wheezing either. But you could see the swelling in his mouth. He had eaten one off his water bucket I'm pretty sure.
With yours being that sudden that's what I would guess. Mine was sudden too.

It was confirmed when I put him back the next day and he saw one of the wasp things, he hissed at it and shooed it away. :lol:
We have a wasp nest that keeps popping up on the back side of the house the hubby keeps spraying it down and they rebuild. With how quick the syptoms came on and the turn around my girl made I think that may be the culprit!

Spatch survived the night. Still wheezing but not nearly as bad. I decided to treat as if pneumonia. I managed to slowly get 1.5 ml Tylosin 50 down orally but he did not tolerate that well so gave the remainder IM.
I re-dosed benadryl. By mid morning he was audibly much better, comb nice and red, and he was standing alert. (Praise God) This afternoon I mixed Tylosin in loose mash and he ate with vigor (another praise God). Still musical wheezing some. I’m keeping him indoors for another 24-36 hours. I’m not sure how many days of antibiotics but if it’s similar to human medicine 5 days for macrolides is typical. Any one have an opinion on that?

And, should I emperically treat the entire flock for respiratory illness with Tylosin?
@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock
Can you get a video of him? Upload to youtube and provide a link.

I would not treat any others if they are not symptomatic.

Tylan50 dosing is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
1692931358498.png

Can you get a video of him? Upload to youtube and provide a link.

I would not treat any others if they are not symptomatic.

Tylan50 dosing is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
View attachment 3618827
Thank you so much for reply!! I’m watching the flock very closely- no resp illness so far. I have far too many migrating birds - so keeping the flock in covered run.
Spatch-I’ll try to upload video before noon today. he is so much better. Wheeze can be heard at the end of his crow. video later- at work now. I dosed tylan 50 0.5ml/ lb twice daily based on what I read from another post on dosing at 4x, 3x, 2x daily. Do you feel I should cut the dose and increase frequency at this point - today is day 3 of abx. Spatch is 6-7 lbs-I give 3ml 2x daily in sml amt wet food.

Thank you so much for reply!! I’m watching the flock very closely- no resp illness so far. I have far too many migrating birds - so keeping the flock in covered run.
Spatch-I’ll try to upload video before noon today. he is so much better. Wheeze can be heard at the end of his crow. video later- at work now. I dosed tylan 50 0.5ml/ lb twice daily based on what I read from another post on dosing at 4x, 3x, 2x daily. Do you feel I should cut the dose and increase frequency at this point - today is day 3 of abx. Spatch is 6-7 lbs-I give 3ml 2x daily in sml amt wet food.
I misspoke. today is day 2 of abx.

Back
Top Bottom