Rooster is waiting for snow to melt

DuckDuckGuinea

University of North Quackalina
10 Years
Aug 23, 2009
NC
My rooster hasn't come out of the coop since Friday. He just pokes his head out, takes a gander, and stays inside with his hen. I cleared an area outside of coop, but not until I brought lots of earthworms would he even consider venturing outside. Normal?

Sounds pretty normal. My flock stayed in the coop for 3 days straight in December. Then, last Thursday night we had a 3-4" snowfall and Friday they all stayed in the coop except my two laying hens who came out and trudged across the yard, through the snow, to get to the nesting boxes and then decided they were "stuck" and would need to be carried back to the coop. Go figure.

I just spent the most part of this afternoon removing snow and Ice from the run. The girls were having no part of the white stuff. They stood on the ramp from the coop and watched me the entire time. After I broke it loose and raked in a pile to throw it out of the run, of course then they came running to ride the rake, play in the snow pile, etc. I don't think it was the cold that bothered them, I believe it was the white stuff that they have never seen before. Buncha chickens...LOL.

Sounds normal to me. We've got some that hate snow and refuse to leave the coop and others that don't let a little (or a lot) snow get in there way!
lol.png

I think thats normal. LOL, would you want to go out in all of this cold/snow if you didnt absolutely have to?
smile.png

But on second thought....there are probably some people that thrive in it.
roll.png

Your rooster is being a smart survivalist.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom