Rooster issues

SNK

Chirping
Sep 13, 2021
I’m in need of some desperate help with my rooster. He is 6 months old and huge but non aggressive witch is a plus. But I’m having some issues with him and my hens. I have him and his 5 girls with 10 of my older hens and in the mornings he will chase my older hens around trying to mate with them till they can’t run anymore and he won’t let my older hens eat only the younger ones he was raised with. He is really rough on my older hens and I believe he is way to big for them. I don’t want to get rid of him but I can’t have him hurting my hens so as for now I have him separated from them all. Will he ever calm down?

Attachments

• 4CDA6487-9D35-4C6B-AC41-7F774184EE6E.jpeg
    4CDA6487-9D35-4C6B-AC41-7F774184EE6E.jpeg
    689.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 01CFB867-04A7-44C4-B52A-51B769FBABF6.jpeg
    01CFB867-04A7-44C4-B52A-51B769FBABF6.jpeg
    885 KB · Views: 8
Sounds like the older girls haven't accepted him yet. Logically, he wants to provide for the girls that have accepted him, hence driving away the older girls. He'd still like to be able to have them in his group, so he's making attempts to mate with them. They're refusing. Probably because he's way too young for them (how old are your older girls?)

Sounds like the older girls haven't accepted him yet. Logically, he wants to provide for the girls that have accepted him, hence driving away the older girls. He'd still like to be able to have them in his group, so he's making attempts to mate with them. They're refusing. Probably because he's way too young for them (how old are your older girls?)
My older hens are 2 1/2 years old and the younger ones are 6 months old. I’m a little worried cause I have another group I’m going to put in the flock in a couple of months and they are smaller breed. They are prairie bluebells. People say he’s a Austrolorp but I believe he’s a jersey giant cause he is huge.

Is that group all females too? I wouldn't really worry if I'm being honest. I've only seen birds get hurt from mating when it goes wrong. Never just from the difference in size

Is that group all females too? I wouldn't really worry if I'm being honest. I've only seen birds get hurt from mating when it goes wrong. Never just from the difference in size
Yes is my only rooster. He was supposed to be a hen. They don’t summit for him so he basically grabs them and does his thing while they try and get away. They see him coming and they run and hide.

Yes is my only rooster. He was supposed to be a hen. They don’t summit for him so he basically grabs them and does his thing while they try and get away. They see him coming and they run and hide.

Do they get away? Sounds very cockerel-y to me. Does he mate with his pullets?

My older girls haven't accepted my 6 month old roosters yet either . Let nature run its course and make more feederes and waterers. Only intervene if he's hurting them.My older hens have a small coop so it doesn't cause me any other problems.My roosters are actually smaller than my australorps and bigger than my leghorns lol

My 'original' flock consists of 5 older hens and 3 pullets (the pullets turn 1 year old this mo.) The pullets will mate with the cockerels but still roost in separate coop with my older hens. They're allowed to eat with the new chicks I raised this spring but the older hens are chased off.My hens don't use the run anymore and won't leave their coop until I open the people door.My run is divided so I can separate my pullets and cockerels from my older hens

Back
Top Bottom