rooster lifespan?

Depends on how tolerant your neighbors are....
wink.png

I was going to say, it depends on how he behaves!
lol.png

For well cared for chickens that don't get killed by predators, I think living into the teens is pretty common.

Usually something gets them or they come down with something before they reach their max age but I do believe that if they make it through the dangers of being the world's food, they can easily get into their teens and even into their 20's.

Wow - I never heard that before and was wondering the same thing..........I am caring for a roo that is probably 6 or 7 (arrived as an adult so I don't really know, just know I've known him for 6 years...) and I was wondering if he was getting up there but it sound slike maybe he is in his prime!
Arlee and WW, my worries exactly!

Our feral rooster that came with our house died of apparent old age last October. The neighbors estimate that he was about 13. So was his brother whose territory was across the street. This is suburban Long Island. We have tons of raccoons too. His comb and wattle were lost to frostbite years before. We fed him but he was wild. There was a third white rooster when we moved in but animal control came and got him because he attacked a meter reader everytime he tried to leave one of the houses on the block. Bluie

Quote:
Funny you should say that . . .
Years ago, I was assaulted & left for dead in South Toms River . . . I was a meter reader for JCP&L.

I see you're from Jersey - whereabouts??

Hi Russ - So sorry some cruel person hurt you like that. I hope they were caught?

As to meter readers, I had in mind the Philadelphia Parking Authority - it is the most insane operation. Pre-emptive strikes (ticketing before the meter runs out), failure to acknowledge even registered/certfied mail sent to them - could go on and on. Indeed, people have. There are TV shows about them. I'm on the boot/tow list because they insist I've never responded to them despite the litany of cert/reg receipts and letters I have sent them and resent them. Princeton, NJ a doozy too. One day, in order to allow an elderly lady to cross the street without feeling scared, I very slowly and carefully parked in a parking space such that my tires were maybe 1 inch over the line (I was giving her and the couple holding her arm on each side as much clearance as possible in front of my car). The meter maid instantly gave me a ticket for my tire being over the line and when I explained about the elderly lady he said I should have told her to get out of the way. Well, my ice cream cone that day costs $33 plus the cost of the ice cream.

I am in central western Jersey.
JJ

p.s. Edited to add that I just noticed your Idaho address. I used to live in Soda Springs.

Last edited:
Hi, JJ-
That sounds pretty frustrating!
Born in Morristown, grew up in Boonton, grad HS in West Long Branch, Springsteen played next door in Asbury, bought first house after military in Jackson, in '83.
Although there are good points, I've always said that Jersey's a good place to be from . . .
Far away from!
On to TN, NC, GA, CO, now Idaho, & I love it up here in the Panhandle!

Back
Top Bottom