Rooster not crowing. Standing around.

TheRusticRebel

Songster
Apr 24, 2019
South Carolina, USA
11 month old rooster. Yesterday he didnt crow at all. Was just standing around. Hes move to different parts of the chicken yard and just stands there. He looks fine otherwise. Today i saw him poo and it was white and foamy. He seems alert. He looks at me when i approach. He watched a hen chase a bug but hes not chasing anyone around or crowing or anything. And he did roost last night and came out with everyone this morning.

Any ideas?

- is an avain vet an option?
Or at least a vet that can do a fecal float? I’m thinking he needs to be wormed. But.

- is he drinking?
- is today the first day that you noticed the white/ foamy poo?
- are the girls’ stools normal?
- what are you feeding?
Protein, fiber, and fat content is helpful info, followed by a brand IMO ....
Any supplements or treats?
* - when was the last time you wormed them? (Not judging, I haven’t wormed in quite a while but haven’t had issues or brought in birds that had issues.... although I know it should be routine 😶)
* - any sign of a yellow “tinge” to the foamy poo?

Any recent changes in feed or routine?

They were just wormed this past summer. I havent changed their feed. They get a grower feed with oyster shell left out for the hens. I get it from our local feed store . their is no brand name on the bag. I wash and fill their waterers every day. No yellow tinge. Just white with a clear foam. Poop on the poop boards in the coop looked normal.
The only recent change was a hawk attacked the flock and we lost a couple babies. But that was weeks ago and he just started this behavior. It has been cold but it had been colder last month and he was fine. The rest of the flock is acting normally. Some are molting but otherwise seem fine.

You should check the condition of your feed daily in winter. Moisture that lingers in the air can cause the feed to go moldy.

When a chicken eat moldy feed, it will cause them to be lethargic and off balance with wet poop.

If it's not checked early the mold will affect there nervous system, death will occur.

Today our Roo was scratching around a bit and ate some bread this morning. But by afternoon he was back to just standing and staring. Last night he went up to roost. But he just stood on the poop board he wasnt sitting on the roost itself. I dont know if he ever got on the roost or just stood there all night.

This afternoon i gave him some poultry-cell and some water in a syringe. He was much more interested in the water than when i gave him some yesterday.

Also looked through his feathers for mites or lice or something. I didn't see anything. His feathers appear shiny. His down is fluffy. His eyes are clear and alert. His wattles are a bit.swollen at the bottoms. They are red but have like...ashy areas? Like dry skin almost. His comb is also read and not.floppy but the tips are looking dark almost black. But only superficially. Like there is a bumpy texture and the bumps seem dark but the comb is red. Its weird. Not fowl pox like. Like frostbite almost but its not that. Idk. Im gonna see if hes interested in some blended oatmeal and egg in a bit. Im not gonna force him to eat it just dip his beak in. And i will try and get some pics.

He wasnt very interested in eating. He nibbled just a tiny bit.

Attachments

• 20240105_171058.jpg
    20240105_171058.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240105_171103.jpg
    20240105_171103.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240105_171108_HDR.jpg
    20240105_171108_HDR.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240105_171114_HDR.jpg
    20240105_171114_HDR.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 16
His wattles are a bit.swollen at the bottoms. They are red but have like...ashy areas? Like dry skin almost. His comb is also read and not.floppy but the tips are looking dark almost black.
Can you look inside his beak for any signs of canker or yellow pasty material?

Hard to tell about the wattles and comb, but swelling like that may be Frostbite.

When you can, get some photos of him standing and of his poop.

Back
Top Bottom