Rooster not crowing. Standing around.

Hard to tell about the nostril, he has such a heavy prominent comb.

Can you hold a cup of water up to his beak and see if he will drink for you. You can give him a little sugar water (1tsp to 1cup water) or electrolytes if you have them.
Once drinking, then see if he will eat something for you. Wet or dry feed, bits of scrambled egg, etc.

The poop could be due to not eating and some dehydration. It does look like it has mucous(?), but see if it improves if you can get him to eat.

Does he seem like his wattles are hurting?
I dipped his beak in some sugar water. He took one drink then wouldn't open his beak. I had some feed mixed in water very thin. Put it on a spoom and dipped his beak in. He wouldnt eat. I syringed 2 ml of nutri drench. Idk what else to do. Hes just acting the same. No worse, no better.

He lets me touch his wattles without issue so i dont think they hurt.

His crop is still empty.

Have the wattles turned color any more?

I'm not sure what's going on with him. Did you see any lice/mites when you were examining him?
Its so strange because other than the black on his comb and wattles and swelling he looks good. His comb and wattles are still bright red and he seems alert.

He still wouldn't eat. They were in all day because of the storm. I syringed some warm water. Mixed a bit of egg yolk and feed in there with some poultry cell. He took a bit. Maybe got 1/2 an oz in him? His comb looks different . some of the black on the tips is gone on the back points but is worse now in the front. And part of his wattles where it was black looks like a bruise. Like purplish.

I was thinking because of the head shaking it could be some type of URI? I dont see any mites or lice. Would it hurt to give him some antibiotics? At this point im just worried hes going to starve to death. :( i dont have a local bird vet.

Attachments

• 20240109_174030.jpg
    20240109_174030.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240109_174036.jpg
    20240109_174036.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 18
His wattles looks painful.

Can you hold a cup of wet soupy feed to his beak and see if he can eat? He may be having a hard time if the wattles hurt when he bends his head over.

He will need more fluids than 1/2oz. I believe normal rate of tubing fluids/liquid feed is 3ml per 100grams of body weight. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/crop-feeding.75454/

What antibiotics do you have? If this is Frostbite it will usually have run its course of swelling tissue, dying off, etc. but an antibiotic may help with inflammation.
IF it's infection that is causing the swelling, then medication can help too.

His wattles looks painful.

Can you hold a cup of wet soupy feed to his beak and see if he can eat? He may be having a hard time if the wattles hurt when he bends his head over.

He will need more fluids than 1/2oz. I believe normal rate of tubing fluids/liquid feed is 3ml per 100grams of body weight. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/crop-feeding.75454/

What antibiotics do you have? If this is Frostbite it will usually have run its course of swelling tissue, dying off, etc. but an antibiotic may help with inflammation.
IF it's infection that is causing the swelling, then medication can help too.
He ate a bit off a spoon. I mixed an egg yolk with some feed, warm water and poultry cell. I syringed some water and aome of the soupier parts of the food that wouldnt clog the syringe. Its slow going and he doesnt get it all sometimes as im just squirting ti y bits i to the corner of his beak and letting him handle that before any more. I maybe got a bit over an oz in him this time.

We are working on making him a spot in our spare room and going to bring him in the house. It's going to get cold after tomorrow night. And maybe this way i can get more nutrients and fluid in him and keep closer track of his droppings. He is still looking the same. And he isnt laying around. Still just standing around and hes roosted every night. Still doing the head shake.

I dont have any antibiotics atm. But i will get some if its warranted. Ive read on here about using fishmox and i also read an article about LA200. Which i may be able to get at the feed store? i dont want to give him anything unnecessarily. But i also dont want to do nothing.

Is there anything i can put on his wattles to ease his pain and help with healing? Do you think its indeed frostbite?

If it's Frostbite, it's best not to put anything on the tissue, rubbing ointment or handling the tissue can be painful. I know you want to do something, but it's better not to.

Amoxicillin would be a good choice for a broad spectrum antibiotic. LA200 might work, but I would use Amoxicillin if you can get it.

If it's Frostbite, it's best not to put anything on the tissue, rubbing ointment or handling the tissue can be painful. I know you want to do something, but it's better not to.

Amoxicillin would be a good choice for a broad spectrum antibiotic. LA200 might work, but I would use Amoxicillin if you can get it.
Oh man. His wattles looked terrible yesterday afternoon. So i blended up some oatmeal, yogurt, egg yolk and honey. Put a couple ml poultry cell in. He ate some off a spoon and i tried to syringe some but he was very resistant to that so i didnt force. Got a bit of water in him. He wasnt opposed to that by syringe but wouldnt drink any when beak dipped in bowl.

I wanted to see how he react to dry food. I put a handful of grower crumbles near his beak and he went to town!!! So im going to try and rig something in the little area we made for him in the house to have feed available up higher.

I cant find fish mox ( or aqua mox) available except for like a weeks worth of shipping. But i can get erythromycin faster. Would that be ok?

Whats the next step in the evolution of frostbite. What can i expect. And how can i.prevent this from happening to him in the future. Or to other birds with large combs and wattles?

My hens never got frost bite. I have RIR, easter eggers and welsummers.

But this is my first winter with a roo.

Attachments

• 20240111_171416.jpg
    20240111_171416.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240111_171420.jpg
    20240111_171420.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 14
wh
11 month old rooster. Yesterday he didnt crow at all. Was just standing around. Hes move to different parts of the chicken yard and just stands there. He looks fine otherwise. Today i saw him poo and it was white and foamy. He seems alert. He looks at me when i approach. He watched a hen chase a bug but hes not chasing anyone around or crowing or anything. And he did roost last night and came out with everyone this morning.

Any ideas?
if he’s not growing he’s not feeling well at all
low energy and bad health stopped growing but not so sudden infections that reach a level can cause this my rooster before dying stopped growing almost 5 days prior to his death
what are his other symptoms
how his poop looking
breathing ?

Yes, it looks like Frostbite now.

I'd work on him eating/drinking. He's got a good ways to go before the wattles shrink. They will likely start to dry up and become crusty.
Hes settled in. I wonder if any of this seems familiar to him him and his broodmates were in a box just like this in the same room when I got them as chicks this past spring.

Its 5ft x 5ft wide and 5.5ft tall. The top is covered with wire fence

. I elevated his food and water and I've witnessed him take several drinks from the waterer. I put some electrolyte powder in the water. it's actually the chick boost I had left over from when they were chicks.

I haven't seen him eat yet but he did peck at it some when I held it up to his beak.

I have the baby monitor pointed at him so I can keep an eye on him for now. And not too soon because another round of storms is coming through and it's supposed to be in the teens next week so at least he'll be comfortable no matter what happens.

I also have the erythromycin if I need to give him any of that if he doesn't improve with being warm and having access to food and water easily.

Attachments

• 20240112_162353.jpg
    20240112_162353.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom