Rooster NOT mating with hens?

perfectly_polish

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 1, 2007
CT
As some of you know we got a Silver Laced Polish Rooster(named Gilbert) from Kansas and when we got him he couldn't walk. Now he is struting around and even running a little bit
wee.gif
. Gilbert is about 1 1/2- 2 years old. He isn't mating with my hens, we've had him for about a month and a half. Is this because the hens are still more dominant then him? Just curious.

-Sophia
jumpy.gif

Are you getting unfertilized eggs? Some roosters I have had are shy about breeding and won't do it unless you are not around. If he is 1.5-2 years old, he should be at least trying to breed. Size shouldn't keep him from trying if the hens are bigger than him. I used to watch a light brahma bantam of my brothers chase around full size hens, and sometimes, he even bred them. If he is feeling crummy, he might not feel like breeding, have you made sure he was deloused/dewormed recently?

Mating is probably happening and you do not see it. I have a rooster that I have only seen mate once and I've had him for about three years. He is a little spookish and I think when I'm around his eyes are busy watching me and what I'm doing. Try hatching your hens eggs. This might tell you if any of the eggs are fertile!

Last edited:
what was the reason that he couldnt walk??

maybe that has something to do with his "jumping ability" did he strain or injure his legs.
My bantam rooster does his thing very quietly but he grabs the large hens by the nape and they make a noise when they rouse on him.
Your fella may be a bit shy, the quiet type.
I hope he does try for you, maybe watch him on the weekend at peak mating times, but do a covert spy.
good luck
Helen

Quote:
Well he is pretty big even for a standard size Polish, the hens we have now that are laying are Aruacanas and Buff Orpingtons. I'm pretty sure he isn't mating with them because wouldn't the hens tail feathers be messed up and stuff?

Quote:
He isn't shy he comes right up to people and loves to get pet and eats out of people's hands even ones he's never even seen before. And he sure doesn't act like he doesn't feel good, he runs around and is acting like a normal chicken. I have also noticed that he isn't crowing in the morning, I havn't heard him crow once since we got him.

Quote:
I'm actually not sure what was wrong with his leg. When we got him he just couldn't walk and about 7-10 days later he just got up and starting walking around and now he's even running.

One way to "test" him would be to put him with one hen in their own pen/cage and start checking eggs after she has been away from any other roos long enough to be "cleaned out". Crack open the eggs and if you see his "special sauce" in the egg than he is doing his job, just shy about breeding in front of ya. He does not have to be shy all the time to be a shy breeder. If he isn't crowing and acting roostery...he may have other problems.

Back
Top Bottom