Just Hatch duck

Chirping
Jan 31, 2017
Hi, I got some chickens months ago and thinking they were all hens i was a little worried when i noticed this chooks facial features, he's with 5 other hens and a few ducks and a drake, i was just wondering whether you thought he was a rooster or not, i was about to buy a rooster but seeing this guy i might not have to? Also do you know how old it takes a rooster to come of age and start breeding with my silkie hens, and will he be okay with my drake?

Attachments

• 26241581_736645056544766_1134510342_n.jpg
    26241581_736645056544766_1134510342_n.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 18
Full body pic is needed, because once hens get into laying age, they can develop pretty large wattles and combs, but I'm going to guess rooster.

If he is a rooster:
He should be okay with your drake, my roosters get along with the drakes.

He'll be "of age" to breed at about fifteen weeks, but the hens won't like it. If he's acting like a hormonal teenager, you might want to separate him via see-through fencing for a few weeks until the pullets catch up to his maturity level.

EDT: and yes, he's definitely a chicken.

Last edited:
Full body pic is needed, because once hens get into laying age, they can develop pretty large wattles and combs, but I'm going to guess rooster.

If he is a rooster:
He should be okay with your drake, my roosters get along with the drakes.

He'll be "of age" to breed at about fifteen weeks, but the hens won't like it. If he's acting like a hormonal teenager, you might want to separate him via see-through fencing for a few weeks until the pullets catch up to his maturity level.

EDT: and yes, he's definitely a chicken.
My cockerel has started trying to breed with my pullet occasionally and they are both about 11 weeks old.

My cockerel has started trying to breed with my pullet occasionally and they are both about 11 weeks old.
Yeah, that can happen. Sorry, I was giving average age of beginning breeding, from my experience. It can happen earlier--there are records of 2-month old buck kid goats breeding their mothers--it's just less common.

Back
Top Bottom