Rooster or Hen

when they are older I can see the feathering but when younger I really struggle. I feel so dumb! lol Thank you so much for pictures and taking the time to explain.

The one you're holding in the very first picture, yeah. That's a cockerel. Brahmas are slow to develop. Pullets won't start turning pink in the comb until about 5 months old.

Do I give them away at this age? Do make sure they are crowing then I give them away? What age do people eat them?

Do I give them away at this age? Do make sure they are crowing then I give them away? What age do people eat them?

Other than any cockerels you intend to keep, I would give them away ASAP as they will just continue to consume more food. I wouldn't wait until they are crowing as that could take quite a while yet. Most cockerels begin crowing from 4-5 months but sometimes it can be quite a bit longer before they start crowing and on rare occasions it can be nearly a year. If you are going to eat them, I would butcher them within the next month. If you wait much beyond that, the meat is going to begin to toughen up.

Back
Top Bottom