Rooster put in isolation--are we making him lonesome???

TheDams

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 22, 2012
Our main man, Brother Wilfred, a chantecler rooster, had double bumblefoot surgery the other night. It wasn't a bad surgery, but it was intense enough that he's been put into a large pen by himself in the barn while his feet heal.

I didn't want to risk getting his feet wet/dirty/sore by being back in pasture, so he's on a few inches of straw for the next week.

I'm getting paranoid that he's going crazy in the pen by himself--and it's only been a day and half.

We can't put him in the pen near the flock--that seems to be more distressing for him.

Should we put a couple hens in there with him in the barn? Or would that cause more trouble?
I'm leaning towards putting the hens in, but don't want him to pick on them because they're in an enclosed space for too long!

Help!

Can you put him in a cage/wire crate in the barn pen with a couple of hens in the loose in the pen? They should be close enough to keep him happy but he can't go after them.

I would put him back in with the rest as soon as you see the wounds are closed over. isolation stresses them and depresses them - a recipe for problems. in the mean time try a hen that can stand up to him for keeping company - maybe she won't be too abused. maybe even cycle different hens through there so one doesn't have a particularly difficult time with him

When I do the surgery I dress it with neopsporin, gauze, and wrap it in duct tape or vet wrap, and they are good to go. I change the bandage in 2 days and I only do 1 foot at a time.

Back
Top Bottom