Rooster question

Birdofire1

Chirping
Jun 22, 2023
I'm pretty hands off when it comes to roosters. In other people's experience.... does a rooster tend to get mean with hands on, hands off, or no difference? I will probably never want to carry a rooster around to 'calm them down' but I could put more effort into feeding them by hand if it would promote a gentler rooster. Or is it really a luck of the draw and you don't know what you have until they mature?

Feeding your rooster by hand is a great way to earn their trust. In my experience, for me anyway, carrying them around to 'calm them down' doesn't work. It also depends on each roosters personality but you are defiantly at a good start with him.
Yes, the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, that even goes with roosters as well.

I have an incredibly friendly rooster that walks with me everywhere and whenever I go down he lets me give him a pat on his back, But he goes insane when I try picking him up, First, he will jump and run but if I catch up he will just go "Aw man, You got me, Okay what do you need" Hes so friendly because I hand-feed him some times and I have a good relation with his hens, Even sometimes I will keep the door wide open and he will sorta make himself at home and climb up the steps, Your rooster may be a bit happier if you give him a high place to be at so he can crow comfortably. and he just MIGHT be a bit friendlier.

I'm pretty hands off when it comes to roosters. In other people's experience.... does a rooster tend to get mean with hands on, hands off, or no difference? I will probably never want to carry a rooster around to 'calm them down' but I could put more effort into feeding them by hand if it would promote a gentler rooster. Or is it really a luck of the draw and you don't know what you have until they mature?
So I have found that if you just grab a book, grab some seed and spend an hour or so in there each day, they will get used to you and begin to like you! Try walking towards the rooster, not chasing him, not picking him up, just go towards him. He will soon begin to realize you aren’t a threat and come to like you. And yes, treats and seed are always a good thing! 😊

Last edited:
I am always hands on with mine. Only human aggression I've had with a couple were due to genetics.

I did hands off once with a small flock of cockerels, it just made them more skittish, a couple of them even bit me. So, just sticking to what I normally do for now on.

I am always hands on with mine. Only human aggression I've had with a couple were due to genetics.

I did hands off once with a small flock of cockerels, it just made them more skittish, a couple of them even bit me. So, just sticking to what I normally do for now on.
I'm not fond of roosters in the first place but my previously beta rooster is just starting to act out a bit and I'm thinking that my attitude is helping to create what I don't want. Also it just really seems to me that there's more nervousness than actual aggression. Animals in general are very reactive to human body language and if I want a friendly rooster I feel like I may need to change what I'm 'saying'... he's an easter egger not a RIR so... yeah.

I have an incredibly friendly rooster that walks with me everywhere and whenever I go down he lets me give him a pat on his back, But he goes insane when I try picking him up, First, he will jump and run but if I catch up he will just go "Aw man, You got me, Okay what do you need" Hes so friendly because I hand-feed him some times and I have a good relation with his hens, Even sometimes I will keep the door wide open and he will sorta make himself at home and climb up the steps, Your rooster may be a bit happier if you give him a high place to be at so he can crow comfortably. and he just MIGHT be a bit friendlier.
If the hens are nervous will that set off the rooster? Some of mine are ok, one wants to come out with me, but a couple are skittish.

I'm not fond of roosters in the first place but my previously beta rooster is just starting to act out a bit and I'm thinking that my attitude is helping to create what I don't want. Also it just really seems to me that there's more nervousness than actual aggression. Animals in general are very reactive to human body language and if I want a friendly rooster I feel like I may need to change what I'm 'saying'... he's an easter egger not a RIR so... yeah.
It may not be you, it could be him, or something in the environment contributing to whatever he's doing.

What do you do when he acts up?

It's usually genetics that are the deciding factor.
I've noticed that the people that are hands on and say it doesn't matter are the people who have bred the ancestorsof their birds, they'll gotten to select the best temperaments for generations.
And typically the people who are hands off are usually not active breeders or get their birds from somewhere else, no telling the temperaments if the parent flock. I'm hands off in the meaning that I don't turn them into pets but they do get handled a few times a week to check feet, crops, eyes etc.

It's usually genetics that are the deciding factor.
I've noticed that the people that are hands on and say it doesn't matter are the people who have bred the ancestorsof their birds, they'll gotten to select the best temperaments for generations.
And typically the people who are hands off are usually not active breeders or get their birds from somewhere else, no telling the temperaments if the parent flock. I'm hands off in the meaning that I don't turn them into pets but they do get handled a few times a week to check feet, crops, eyes etc.
I disagree. I don’t think genetics play a big part in attitude. I breed down a lot of roosters, and though their preferences with hens are similar some are friendly some are not. I have a meat rooster who pecks me when I go near, and will run away or kick me if I pick him up, whereas his father is nicknamed Casper the friendly chicken for his good temper. He loves being held and pet.

Back
Top Bottom