Rooster question

I've always been of the mind that over-aggression is genetic at the root. If you have a bird that has it, he's got it for good. That's why I've never tolerated it. I don't want any of that business passed on to any offspring. And, heck, I ain't spending what I spend in feed to go out and get whooped by a bird with a bad attitude.:p

I raise mine hands-off. I've heard it particularly advised against to hand-tame cockerels from a young age because of the potential boundary issues it may cause. I don't think this necessarily causes aggression problems in and of itself but could make the aggression worse if the bird is hard-wired that way.

I've always raised mine the same way and had variations in temperament, even within the same breeds. In the line of Wyandottes I'm working with now, docility is one of the traits that has been taken into account, and the roo I've got is one of the favorites I've ever had. He likes chest rubs at roost time, which is about all I give, and doesn't pay any attention to me otherwise, except at feeding time of course--which is how I like it.
:goodpost:

I've always been of the mind that over-aggression is genetic at the root. If you have a bird that has it, he's got it for good. That's why I've never tolerated it. I don't want any of that business passed on to any offspring. And, heck, I ain't spending what I spend in feed to go out and get whooped by a bird with a bad attitude.:p

I raise mine hands-off. I've heard it particularly advised against to hand-tame cockerels from a young age because of the potential boundary issues it may cause. I don't think this necessarily causes aggression problems in and of itself but could make the aggression worse if the bird is hard-wired that way.

I've always raised mine the same way and had variations in temperament, even within the same breeds. In the line of Wyandottes I'm working with now, docility is one of the traits that has been taken into account, and the roo I've got is one of the favorites I've ever had. He likes chest rubs at roost time, which is about all I give, and doesn't pay any attention to me otherwise, except at feeding time of course--which is how I like it.
I looked at Wyandottes but... I was attempting to stay with breeds who are *supposedly* heat tolerant since we need all the help we can get in that dept and the white Leghorn I have is sweet but I consider her coloring very dull. I like the hardiness of EE being a form of hybrid and I'm supposing if I try long enough and hard enough I will find a rooster who's friendly but I also need them to be somewhat self caring since I don't always have time and I guess I want my cake and eat it too. *sigh*

I looked at Wyandottes but... I was attempting to stay with breeds who are *supposedly* heat tolerant since we need all the help we can get in that dept and the white Leghorn I have is sweet but I consider her coloring very dull. I like the hardiness of EE being a form of hybrid and I'm supposing if I try long enough and hard enough I will find a rooster who's friendly but I also need them to be somewhat self caring since I don't always have time and I guess I want my cake and eat it too. *sigh*
You'll find what you're after, probably sooner rather than later. It seems most of the attack rooster stories I've heard have stemmed from either production strain RIR or EE. I've owned several of both among the many roosters I've had and have only ever had two that were brazen enough to attack me. One was an EE; one was a Sussex. Just goes to show breeds only have average characteristics, certainly with plenty of exceptions to the rule. There are many more tolerable birds out there than intolerable in my experience.

My wyandottes do fine in the heat. Ees, are the least hardy chickens from my observation.

I'm pretty hands off when it comes to roosters. In other people's experience.... does a rooster tend to get mean with hands on, hands off, or no difference? I will probably never want to carry a rooster around to 'calm them down' but I could put more effort into feeding them by hand if it would promote a gentler rooster. Or is it really a luck of the draw and you don't know what you have until they mature?
Picking one up and carrying one can discourage bad behavior(if its done immediately after an incident) Most roosters hate being picked up and avoid doing anything that c

They're rare but if you can find Cubalaya I would sincerely recommend them. They're very heat hardy, tough as nails, friendly and beautiful. I used to have a rooster here that would spend hours sitting on eggs

If you want tough chickens in general I would recommend game or feral breeds. Games are all human friendly

Back
Top Bottom