Rooster struggling to walk toes curled in

You saw worms in his poop? Tapeworms?
You will need Praziquantel to treat Tapeworms.

What do you feed, including treats?

I would try vitamin therapy and see that he's eating chick starter or an all flock feed. If he's eating layer feed, then get some extra protein into him (fish, eggs, meat).

You can use human vitamins. 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. Egg, tuna or sunflower seeds will provide sufficient selenium for the uptake of E.
Yes it looked like tapeworms in his poo, I gave him aviverm for deworming as I assume that would’ve covered all worms but please correct me if I am wrong :)

I used to feed a “supa chook mixed grain” but felt it was a waste as the small grains weren’t being eaten and also the chickens got to pick whatever but they wanted to eat so weren’t getting all the nutrition. I’ve just switched the whole flock to a pellet form instead as I read that’s best to ensure they are actually getting all the nutrition, I switched them to “chook tucker” which is a New Zealand made layered pellet.

Thank you so much for all your help and advice I really appreciate it!!

People vitamins are chicken vitamins and also dog, cat vitamins as all vitamins are the same. It's just the form that may differ. People vitamins you buy at a pharmacy are just easier and more efficient than struggling with powders and potions from a feed store.

I expect him to respond well to the vitamin therapy, but be patient as the progress could be a bit slow. Or fast. He could surprise us.
Okay perfect! Thank you so much for the advice, I will keep everyone updated in the thread on his progress!

Yes it looked like tapeworms in his poo, I gave him aviverm for deworming as I assume that would’ve covered all worms

I used to feed a “supa chook mixed grain” but felt it was a waste as the small grains weren’t being eaten and also the chickens got to pick whatever but they wanted to eat so weren’t getting all the nutrition. I’ve just switched the whole flock to a pellet form
I'm not finding where Levamisole (Aviverm) is that an effective treatment for Tapeworms. I could be mistaken, so I'll tag in @dawg53 and @Eggcessive just to be sure.
In the US Praziquantel is the most common anthelmintic used to treat Tapeworms.

I'd work on hydration, keeping him eating. I'd get some extra protein into him since you switched to a layer feed. Egg, fish or meat would be good.
His crop is emptying correct?

I have a turkey doing the same thing. He's was limping at first and now it's progressing he can't walk and his toes are all curled up.
And no it's not bumble foot.

Back
Top Bottom