Rooster Won't Stop Crowing!

Thank you. That sounds easier, but my rooster is pretty large..see my photo and I've never held him since he got large. Either way he may put up a fuss. Is the box made out of wood, with air holes drilled and some sort of latch? Would you just make it a little above his normal height?

The box I am using is made of wood. It is large enough for him to turn around in but he has to squat - which they do anyway when they are roosting for the night. If he can stretch out in any direction he will still crow. The box is open on one side so I simply set it over him (open side down) in the evening when they are all settled in. Then I put a weight on top to keep him from tipping it over. No holes necessary since he's on the roost so gets plenty of ventilation from beneath. It also means I don't have to catch him up anymore. In the morning when I let the hens out the box gets removed and I've had a good night's sleep. I've been using this method for about 3 weeks now and it has been very effective.

Great thanks. Anything worth a try. I just put a light on in their house for about 3 extra hours over normal sunset. Let's see if I've had to stay up past his normal bedtime:)

Hopefully yes and he sleeps in

Would love to hear how that technique worked for you or if you have implemented it yet? Mine is doing great, the rooster seems happy and healthy and I can sleep in if I want to. :)

Hey there! Let me revive this thread, lol.

My roo won't shut up. I love him to death, so I don't want to let him go, but we're only on ½ acre so I don't want to be "those" neighbors.

The collar just isn't working. It barely stifles him.

What about putting him in a doghouse or crate vs a box? Would this work? I was worried about ventilation.. are airholes enough for any ammonia from any fecal matter?

Thanks, all!

The Box thing is probably your safest bet, you can make extra mods to muffle the sound of the crowing. Just make sure all the basics are covered like ventilation and it should be fine.

My roost is only one long 2x4 with edges rounded, with a poop board underneath. Don't see how a box could be placed over rooster in this situation. Does your roost have more than one roost, or how does this work?

Back
Top Bottom