Rooster's comb is becoming more purple / feels cool to the touch?

Jul 30, 2022
Hey BYC,

Our trusty alpha rooster, Big Red, has a comb that usually runs purple at the tips and the back. We are not sure of his breed, but we believe he is at least 2-3 years old. We have suspected this may be due to some circulation issues, but this has never hindered him. We have not noticed him behaving strangely and he still eats well, but over the past few weeks, we have noticed that his comb has become increasingly purple and some parts are extremely cool to the touch. The comb otherwise looks well, with no wounds or areas of concern for infection.

The weather has been cooling down as of late, but we are in Houston, so we rarely experience temperatures that would lead to frostbite. We're worried that if his condition worsens, the comb may necrotize and cause more significant issues. Is there anything we can do to help improve the circulation in Big Red's comb?

Though Big Red can be quite unruly sometimes, we still care about him deeply.

Attachments

• Big Red Comb Left Side.jpg
    Big Red Comb Left Side.jpg
    595.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Big Red Comb Right Side.jpg
    Big Red Comb Right Side.jpg
    677.6 KB · Views: 11
While a purpling comb can sometimes indicate a heart or respiratory issue, it can often happen from stress/excitement also. If it comes and goes, then that may be it. If it's heart, then there is really nothing you can do for that anyway. If he's acting normally, then I'd just keep an eye on him, it may be nothing to worry about. It doesn't look necrotic at this point, so I don't think that's a worry.

I might be wrong and I know this post was made a while back but he might have developed a little bit of frostbite and to prevent that just cover the comb in petroleum jelly

I might be wrong and I know this post was made a while back but he might have developed a little bit of frostbite and to prevent that just cover the comb in petroleum jelly

(I realize that you wanted to help , but in case someone comes across this later)

Yes on possible frostbite if skin is purple, but no on the petroleum jelly. It hurts to have contact with skin that is frostbit, so at most (if infection) spray with Vetericyn. Don't touch the skin.

Keep 'patient' hydrated with an electrolyte (lots of options at the feed stores) and keep them warm until they heal. The comb may fall, your goal is to reduce pain and prevent infection from setting in.

In his case it was October in Texas so if it was frostbite the cause is poor circulation and a drop of temp which OP was advised.

But if anything else had been necessary @Eggcessive would have suggested...

The only thing to increase circulation would be an irritant like cayenne pepper, but I doubt it would do much.

I heard about the petroleum jelly before, but it is only slightly preventive, not a treatment.

I apologize if I hurt your feelings, that was not my intention.

Thank you for wanting to help ❤️

Back
Top Bottom