Roosters in the Woods

Last edited:
Would the two roosters I caught be alright if they sleep in two different coops but share a run together during the day? I read that you can’t separate them more than two hours or they’ll fight.

Last edited:
@WoDia
@Red Mangrove
@LTAY1946 (this is the original thread I made about the two roosters)

Just wanted to let y’all know that I made a big pen 10’ x 10’ for the two roosters and they were fighting in a matter of minutes over the hens. The brown one bullies the other even when the hens are out of sight. He is also very much infatuated by the girls; he dances for them and tries to show them food. They take to his attentions with pleasure. What shall I do about the white one? If I get him his own set of hens do you think they would be able to coexist? For now, though, the roosters will have to live in separate houses, and the temperatures get below freezing at nights. Would they both be fine all alone like that?

@WoDia
@Red Mangrove
@LTAY1946 (this is the original thread I made about the two roosters)

Just wanted to let y’all know that I made a big pen 10’ x 10’ for the two roosters and they were fighting in a matter of minutes over the hens. The brown one bullies the other even when the hens are out of sight. He is also very much infatuated by the girls; he dances for them and tries to show them food. They take to his attentions with pleasure. What shall I do about the white one? If I get him his own set of hens do you think they would be able to coexist? For now, though, the roosters will have to live in separate houses, and the temperatures get below freezing at nights. Would they both be fine all alone like that?
I doubt that they will ever coexist in the same pen no matter how big or how many hens are in it. For the peace to be kept most I don't see any way except for separate pens for east set of them. Below freezing shouldn't be a problem as long as you have sufficient wind breaks and rain protection. I had pullets that were just over 4 months old last winter that took 15° nights in stride in a protected hoop coop.

I'm a free-ranger with no coop experience, but in my experience outside roosters will typically only fight a single time seriously after which a pecking order will be established. However it's possible that two roosters with game blood trapped together could turn lethal

The most practical solution would probably just be rehoming the one you like less

Back
Top Bottom