Roosters Pros and Cons

I culled 2 roosters today. I have about 3 left, and am hatching chicks out. one was the sweetest roo ever but he had a cross bill, one was a black andelusian, I wanted blue, and have a blue andelusian rooster, plus the andelusian roo I had was insiting panic. I like a calm coop. rooster wise I still have a Blue isbar, a buff orpington and a blue frizzle. I may not keep the frizzle since I have frizzle hens and I gave some eggs to a friend that hatched out frizzle roos.

We have 5 Rhode Island Reds hens about the same age. They have a beautiful Amish coop, and free range in our range in our chicken yard as well as across our 12 acre property. We had the same debate, and opted to add a beautiful, younger Old English rooster from a neighbor. He promptly joined the clique, and he proudly cock-a-doodle do's for them, watches for predators, and herds them all around the yard - to the garden, to the taller grass, and when he crows, then they all follow him back to the yard for water and closer quarters. He marches them into the coop at the right time, and he roosts with them inside. He is a joy to watch perform. I would definitely opt to do this if I were in the same situation again.

We have not had any eggs as yet, but hope to soon! Good luck with your BYC's!

I am on my first flock and started with 7 chicks, one turned out to be a rooster. They are now about 4 months old and the rooster started getting really aggressive towards the hens. I let them out of the run each night for a supervised time in the yard. This past weekend, the rooster attacked my Light Brahma twice pulling out feathers each time, then he attacked the Maran and she started bleeding all with in a half hour. That was enough, I put him in the barn for the night and the next day he was in the crock pot. I didn't want a rooster to begin with and I don't think I will ever keep another one, I just don't see any need for one. The hens seem so much calmer and less stressed with him gone.

I am on my first flock and started with 7 chicks, one turned out to be a rooster. They are now about 4 months old and the rooster started getting really aggressive towards the hens. I let them out of the run each night for a supervised time in the yard. This past weekend, the rooster attacked my Light Brahma twice pulling out feathers each time, then he attacked the Maran and she started bleeding all with in a half hour. That was enough, I put him in the barn for the night and the next day he was in the crock pot. I didn't want a rooster to begin with and I don't think I will ever keep another one, I just don't see any need for one. The hens seem so much calmer and less stressed with him gone.

You just got one mean rooster, but not all of them are aggressive.They usually take good care of the hen in his coop. It was a good idea to put him in the crock pot. He was going to kill your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom