Roosters Pros and Cons

I have to give my little roo some credit today. He's only 5 months old, but he's doing a pretty good job watching over his selected batch of pullets/hens. I have had one very mean cockerel, and one that was very friendly and passive. The first roo was culled when he started attacking other flock members. The second we lost when he got to friendly with a predator. :( My current roo falls somewhere in between.

Today one of my clients that buys eggs from me came over with her four kids. They were running around the yard like wild squirrels. The kids were not chasing the chickens, but both the feathered animals and cats were completely freaked out by the screaming, crying, scurrying children. The rooster took some pullets and hid them down the hill (until the kids found them). Then he moved them behind the trees. The chickens felt very threatened by the kids. I can totally see now why a rooster who is protecting his flock would attack a kid. Not that you'd want either party to get hurt, but the roosters are just doing their job.

I felt so bad that I subjected my chickens the the torture of hyperactive children that I gave them a double feeding of scratch grains. I hope they will forgive me!

I am your neighbor in the cascades.
smile.png

I have to give my little roo some credit today.  He's only 5 months old, but he's doing a pretty good job watching over his selected batch of pullets/hens.  I have had one very mean cockerel, and one that was very friendly and passive.  The first roo was culled when he started attacking other flock members.  The second we lost when he got to friendly with a predator.  :(   My current roo falls somewhere in between.

Today one of my clients that buys eggs from me came over with her four kids.  They were running around the yard like wild squirrels.  The kids were not chasing the chickens, but both the feathered animals and cats were completely freaked out by the screaming, crying, scurrying children.  The rooster took some pullets and hid them down the hill (until the kids found them).  Then he moved them behind the trees.  The chickens felt very threatened by the kids.  I can totally see now why a rooster who is protecting his flock would attack a kid.  Not that you'd want either party to get hurt, but the roosters are just doing their job.  

I felt so bad that I subjected my chickens the the torture of hyperactive children that I gave them a double feeding of scratch grains.  I hope they will forgive me!

I can totally relate. It seems parents think its okay to make kids stay inside all the time.
...and feed them chocolate bars and pepsi while travelling long distances buckled into a vehicle.

I can also relate to kids running around when they get "set free" in "wide en space".
When kids come to my place it seems they gotta chase. Even some adults are like that.
It kinda hurts seeing my birds all stressed out.
I tell all my visitors " There are 2 rules right now. You don't chase the animals, and....you don't FRIKKEN chase the animals".
The kids usually hear me. Alot of teenagers and supposed adults gotta be yelled at again. Some get indignant saying things like "They're just animals", to which I usually respond with "My yard, my rules. Kick my rooster again and I will most assuredly kick you. He's just doing his job." LOL. I guess I'm kinda "The Cock OfThe Rock" in my yard.
Some don't come back. Oh well. ..
My birds like shelled sunflower seeds. And toasted plumped barley is a treat.
When my birds have been traumatized(especially by people) I like to spend quiet time with them in the pen and give them their treats.
It's nice to witness them calming down.

I can totally relate. It seems parents think its okay to make kids stay inside all the time.
...and feed them chocolate bars and pepsi while travelling long distances buckled into a vehicle.

I can also relate to kids running around when they get "set free" in "wide en space".
When kids come to my place it seems they gotta chase. Even some adults are like that.
It kinda hurts seeing my birds all stressed out.
I tell all my visitors " There are 2 rules right now. You don't chase the animals, and....you don't FRIKKEN chase the animals".
The kids usually hear me. Alot of teenagers and supposed adults gotta be yelled at again. Some get indignant saying things like "They're just animals", to which I usually respond with "My yard, my rules. Kick my rooster again and I will most assuredly kick you. He's just doing his job." LOL. I guess I'm kinda "The Cock OfThe Rock" in my yard.
Some don't come back. Oh well. ..
My birds like shelled sunflower seeds. And toasted plumped barley is a treat.
When my birds have been traumatized(especially by people) I like to spend quiet time with them in the pen and give them their treats.
It's nice to witness them calming do

Parents sometime just have wild kids. And I don't know why they never say no. Animals are not toys

I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old if I got a rooster that free ranges with a flock would I have to worry about him attacking my kids? If they grow up with the rooster will he know they are not a threat?

Last edited:
Depends on the rooster, some breeds are very gentle. Depends on how much you handle him as a chick. Depends on the circumstances too. High anxiety moments may provoke attacks, but it is just a chicken. Even cats attack little children. Teach your children to be calm and respectful around animals and everyone will be okay.

Roosters are just like other creatures - some great, some good, some not so much. My Old English is dwarfed by his girls who are Rhode Island Reds, yet he fiercely and fearlessly protects them, and keeps them safe. He seems to size up people well - curiously approaching and deciding what to do. Kids tend to squeal and run, and of course this triggers being protective. Use the opportunity to TEACH the kids respect for all creatures. The kids in my family adore our flock and are never subjected to rooster "attacks". Chickens are a wonderful addition to our family & pets!

I have thirteen Roosters, one white crested Polin ... whom I had to separate from his ladies, who pecked all the feathers from his crest. Now it is growing again, I will have to keep him in sickbay, or they would keep pecking him ! One of his ladies is with him, as she went blind and needs to be looked after along with two other invalids, so he has company! The other dozen roo's, are spread out, and seem to be getting on at the moment. They are my adorable "allsorts" though the dad is a Bantam, they have a mixture of Mums, not two alike, alas! (but all beautiful in my eyes lol)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom