Roosters Pros and Cons

I am pro-rooster all the way. But in your case you really should not get a rooster, because you only have 4 hens. The proper ratio is 1 rooster to about 10 hens. The rooster can basically over-mate the hens and it puts a lot of stress on them and can even cause injury. 

Thanks for this info. I have two hens and three chicks. The chicks are 4 weeks old. I think one might be a roo so I have been contemplating what to do if he does turn out to be a roo. I'm not planning on adding anymore hens.

My first roo overbred his 3 girls, one in particular. Yet she is the one who misses him the most. He was sweet as could be with me, but we finally gave up after trying everything with my husband. The rooster would just not give up, he always wanted to attack my husband and it just was not worth it. We found a home for him with someone who thought he could handle it. The rooster was as meek as could be when I was loading him up, too. Miss the guy.

I currently have 3 possible keepers in the grow out bunch. One is a cheeky Orpington bantam who needs to be reminded of his place on occasion. (and yes, that's his overly confident face in my avatar). As long as the cockerels and roosters fail to crow when you are nearby and generally step back when you approach, you will likely be okay. This, I have learned, is a sign that they accept you as the head of the flock. Fuss over them and call them over, pick them up and preen over them....it's a real insult lol. My Orpington calls over the subordinate cockerel in his pen along with the hens. I've never heard the subordinate crow. Never. And never will as long as he's in the same pen, I would imagine. You need to be concerned if your rooster crows while you are close by and very concerned if he mounts a hen when you are close by. This is a direct challenge to you! As long as this isn't happening, you're all good.

Last edited:
I am pro-rooster all the way. But in your case you really should not get a rooster, because you only have 4 hens. The proper ratio is 1 rooster to about 10 hens. The rooster can basically over-mate the hens and it puts a lot of stress on them and can even cause injury.

Lolo: your rooster needs some instruction regarding his place on the food chain. There are some excellent threads on how to train a rooster. He needs to learn that you are the top rooster. I hope you don't let that bad boy play in the gene pool. Mean roo begets mean roo. If he attacks you as his caregiver, he could do a lot of damage to any visitor to your property. If he doesn't submit to you and can't be trusted by you at all times, it's time to eliminate him, or call in a replacement.
I have a beautiful rooster and 4 hens. For some reason the rooster does not like me. I go out there to feed them or just go in the yard and 8 out 0f 10 times the rooster tries to attacks me. I'm not sure why he does that, he doesn't bother my husband...A con would be they could attack you....

My first roo overbred his 3 girls, one in particular. Yet she is the one who misses him the most. He was sweet as could be with me, but we finally gave up after trying everything with my husband. The rooster would just not give up, he always wanted to attack my husband and it just was not worth it. We found a home for him with someone who thought he could handle it. The rooster was as meek as could be when I was loading him up, too. Miss the guy.

I currently have 3 possible keepers in the grow out bunch. One is a cheeky Orpington bantam who needs to be reminded of his place on occasion. (and yes, that's his overly confident face in my avatar). As long as the cockerels and roosters fail to crow when you are nearby and generally step back when you approach, you will likely be okay. This, I have learned, is a sign that they accept you as the head of the flock. Fuss over them and call them over, pick them up and preen over them....it's a real insult lol. My Orpington calls over the subordinate cockerel in his pen along with the hens. I've never heard the subordinate crow. Never. And never will as long as he's in the same pen, I would imagine. You need to be concerned if your rooster crows while you are close by and very concerned if he mounts a hen when you are close by. This is a direct challenge to you! As long as this isn't happening, you're all good.
Excellent bit of advice tnmommy. I have a EE cockrel who has been a model citizen. I'm teaching my 7 y.o. how to herd him. Today, he mounted the alpha hen in my presence. He was promptly picked up and went for an unintended flight. He was quite shocked! Also, never go around a rooster. Walk through him.

Last edited:
I know that there are members who will disagree (which is fine; to each his own), but in my opinion, the only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching. I have heard the other arguments (protecting the flock, ushering the hens back into the coop, etc.), and while there may be some validity to those arguments with the more aggressive breeds like game chickens, in my fifty years of experience with the docile egg layers that I've always had, the roosters are practically worthless in doing those things. I currently have 25 hens, no roosters, and I get loads of eggs without feeding any non-egg laying mouths, without the aggression, fights, crowing in the middle of the night, and over-bred and battered hens that frequently goes along with having roosters (especially too many of them). In my opinion, at least where docile egg layers are involved, the flock is definitely much better off without roosters.

What? I have 4 girls and it also is my learning flock. I am not aloud to have a rooster. My girls are going to experience something bad? Please say it is not so!!!!

What? I have 4 girls and it also is my learning flock. I am not aloud to have a rooster. My girls are going to experience something bad? Please say it is not so!!!!
Welcome to BYC.
When you say you are not allowed, are you referring to things said in this thread giving you that impression or local ordinances that would prevent/forbid it?
Perhaps you can expand a bit on what you are saying/asking and we can better answer your concerns.

welcome-byc.gif

I'm not sure what you mean by "My girls are going to experience something bad?" Do you mean they aren't going to have enough protection? As Michael O'Shay stated, a rooster doesn't necessarily guarantee flock protection. He might sound an alarm if there is something amiss, but in an all hen flock, the alpha hen will usually take that role. If that's not what you're concerned about, maybe you could be more specific in your question.

We re-homed our two roosters last weekend. For five months we had two roosters, three hens. It wasn't good math but we didn't know any better. Since the roosters have been gone the hens roam a bit more and don't seem to be as on edge. Every time I tuned around one of those roosters was tormenting those poor hens.

We're going to remain rooster free for a while.

Back
Top Bottom