Roosters Pros and Cons

For me, loud noises is a function of large numbers of birds or social strife. Hens can be loud in two situations; first is when they are startled by , second is when they do not have access to a rooster while in lay.
Funny, I hear plenty of chatter (at different volumes, including loud) from hens that are neither startled or deprived of rooster companionship.

Funny, I hear plenty of chatter (at different volumes, including loud) from hens that are neither startled or deprived of rooster companionship. 

Third situation I seldom realize anymore is critical flock size like we used to realize with layer flocks numbering hundreds of birds. Once you have so many birds in a group it is like critical mass for a nuclear reaction. One bird making a low level vocalization stimulates others to to do similar and it escalates. When my cockyard is alarmed by bird overflight they take much longer to settle down than smaller harems out in the bush.

Critical number seems to be more than a dozen.

I love my rooster..He is friendly enough that I can pet him as he exits the coop and takes food from our hands and has not shown any aggressiveness at all. His fav 3 girls love him too and what a great guy he is..finds them food..calls them over and let's them have first dibs. They call if they don't see him and he comes running to make sure they are ok. We got 7 younger chicks when we lost 5 of our other birds due to predators and low and behold one is a rooster..so now I have 2 flocks lol. The young male leads the young pullets around and still let's me pick him up and hold him without issue. So for me..I have nothing but pros :)

I have 7 roosters and 9 hens and I love them to death. Then hens are cooped at night and the roosters guard the yard and roost over the coop at night. There is no fighting and they are well feed off the yard bugs and vegetation. The roosters even come when called for treats. They are even prettier than pink flamingos in the yard. We even have coyotes, hawks and eagles near and have no trouble with them because of my pack of roosters.

I have a small flock. Currently 6 hens. I lost my bantam Cochin roo to mareks last fall & we all miss him. He was very sweet and took such good care of the girls from keeping an old half blind hen with the group to mediating new introductions until everyone was settled and he always bowed to my will. I know not all are so even tempered so treading carefully with breed & personality are important but I always felt a little safer with him around the girls.

I have a beautiful rooster and 4 hens. For some reason the rooster does not like me. I go out there to feed them or just go in the yard and 8 out 0f 10 times the rooster tries to attacks me. I'm not sure why he does that, he doesn't bother my husband...A con would be they could attack you....

Hi,

Our Ameracauna rooster attacked our Silver Laced Wyandotte rooster tonight. We have 10 hens and these two Roos (we only planned on the Ameracauna, but were given a "free exotic chick" that turned out to be a Roo). All are four months old. We've never had a problem before. They have a 10 x 12 coop with run. The SLW was bleeding, panting and in shock. I cleaned him up and put him in the grow out pen. Help! Suggestions?

I currently have an isbar rooster who is wonderful! he is young and has not bred yet, but if I show other hens attention he comes by because he wants me to lavish him. I like his size because he is med.

his egg gene is the middle green one.

I have been breeding toward med. sized birds with good sized green eggs and blue/gray feather color.

I only keep the friendly roos.

I have decided to go "rooster free" for this next year. My first year, we kept one rooster to nine hens. One hen was over bred, and has huge bare patches on her back. The others fared much better. I'm selling or eating the 15 roos. I want to see how we do without a rooster this year.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom