Roosters touching each other's beaks

They're staring at each other. My boys do it all the time. It's cute and comical, but I suspect it has something to do with determining the pecking order.
Yes, it definitely does. It has only happened (for what i remember anyway) with ones directly above eachother in the pecking order for me, i have had it happen with a lot of hens, but also roosters. I had a trio doing the same thing because it was a pretty loopy pecking order. Rizo was above Isbe, Isbe was above Emily, Emily was above Rizo and well, you get the point. I think if I didn’t intervine they would be standing there for a lot longer.

Maybe that could be the same with OP’s.

@The Moonshiner @Vals Kidos @RoostersAreAwesome

Yes, that's Hawke, my severely crossbeaked house rooster. His upper mandible is long, only because it's very parrot-ish so the quick is longer compared to my non-cb roosters. I trim and file twice a month as it doesn't grow terribly fast.

Surprisingly, he does eat on his own - a soupy, specially formulated mash that he slurps like soup. I think the longer beak helps because he 'licks' it off the back of the mandible. That said, I do daily supplemental syringe feedings since he doesn't get enough of on his own. I don't want him to forget how to eat since it does take the edge off when I have to go into the office.

Here he is a couple weeks ago. I have to trim the lower mandible once I remember to grab a new file for the pedipaw thing.

IMG_20221206_073521_523.jpg

It's always something to learn from animals.
What a peace full way to solve who is on top and who is the boss, if it's that what it means?
The humans should look more into behaviour of the animals
and we could avoid many disputes and in the world.
🐔🐔 huenermueter

It's always something to learn from animals.
What a peace full way to solve who is on top and who is the boss, if it's that what it means?
The humans should look more into behaviour of the animals
and we could avoid many disputes and in the world.
🐔🐔 huenermueter
Do you mean why don’t they peacefully solve it or why don’t we?

I have caught my roosters doing this a few times. They put their beaks together and stand there for over 5 minutes. They don't make noise or show any aggression. It is winter in Michigan so I'm not sure if they are cold? Bonding? Sleeping? Has anyone seen this?
They are planning 'Cause they will be "HOME ALONE", I luv that behavior on mine. Jlet m be serious abou it...just God knows...I believe they are showing luv to each other🥰

They are planning 'Cause they will be "HOME ALONE", I luv that behavior on mine. Jlet m be serious abou it...just God knows...I believe they are showing luv to each other🥰
Im pretty sure its not love. Mine will often break into a fight when doing it, its a sign of dominance as far as i know.

Back
Top Bottom