Rosecomb Thread

Pics
What would you change about my rooster to make him good for show (so I know what to breed to him.)?

Shorter Back, Heavier Tail Structure, broader Feather, and improve comb and comb spike, lobes could be a bit bigger as well.

I have a few questions about Rosecombs that I was wondering if anyone could answer:

1. Are Rosecombs difficult to breed? I've heard that they can have low fertility and weak chicks. Do they require any special incubation conditions?

2. What is the best place to keep Rosecombs? I know that when kept in cages their tails can get ruined. Is it all right if they have access to the outside?

3. What is their temperament usually like? Are they aggressive to other chickens and/or humans? How nice are the cocks to their hens?

4. Do they need any special feed to keep them in top condition?

5. Are their combs particularly susceptible to frostbite in cold weather?

Thanks for any help that you can provide. I think that Rosecombs are beautiful birds, and would love to have some. If only I had more room...

1. Are Rosecombs difficult to breed? I've heard that they can have low fertility and weak chicks. Do they require any special incubation conditions? It depends on the line you get. Some lines are very old and give very healthy chicks though they've been line bred for some 40 years! Others who may not be line breeding correctly may suffer some of these problems.

2. What is the best place to keep Rosecombs? I know that when kept in cages their tails can get ruined. Is it all right if they have access to the outside? They just chickens. A well ventilated coop with plenty of room to turn around is fine. If you are planning on showing, most breeders separate young males to assure the white lobes remain crisp and clean of bruising. Just like any chickens or any species, young boys can test each other.

3. What is their temperament usually like? Are they aggressive to other chickens and/or humans? How nice are the cocks to their hens? I have never had an aggressive roo. My boys are very gentle with the ladies are are devoted dads. Rosecombs are the first birds up in the morning and the first to roost at night. They are excellent foragers and are a strong family unit. Young males are excepted into the group easily and females often share the rearing chicks responsibilities. The females make awesome broodies and feed their chicks a bit longer than other breeds.

4. Do they need any special feed to keep them in top condition? I like to use a game bird type feed with higher protein to help feather growth

5. Are their combs particularly susceptible to frostbite in cold weather? Rose combs are naturally more winter hardy than straight combed birds. When combs/waddles are tight to the face, you will have less problems. The only spot I've ever seen frostbite is the very tip of a males comb.. but, it's rare. I'm in Maryland, btw.

Last edited:
opinions on him. 6 months old, a cross between my show quality rooster and my hatchery hen. I'm thinking his back is to long, he is to big in size, and he has bad lacing?

opinions on him. 6 months old, a cross between my show quality rooster and my hatchery hen. I'm thinking his back is to long, he is to big in size, and he has bad lacing?

You're seeing him right. Also lobes are small & not properly shaped & he's crow headed. All in all an experiment that didn't work out too well.

February 2013 Cockeral
What do you guys think?

Don't like him much. Biggest flaw [beyond condition] is his tail set. Back to tail shows a break where it should be a sweep. Lobes are small & have a fold. Breast lacks fullness.

You're seeing him right. Also lobes are small & not properly shaped & he's crow headed. All in all an experiment that didn't work out too well.
. Thanks, I'm going to try again, I had another blue chick that hatched the correct size, later got the right lacing, I was so excited but then I got cocci in that batch and I lost him :(

Back
Top Bottom