Rosecomb Thread

Pics
Black Rosecombs were the first purebred chickens I ever had. Bought a trio from an APA Judge named Bruce Hagan for $5.00 in 1960. I've had them off & on since then but it's been awhile since I had any-'till now. I came home from a show last week with 2 trios from Rick Hare. The "Little Aristocrats" have always been one of my favorites.

My avatar picture is one of my, the time 5 month old pullets. It was so hot, with her mouth gapping wide open. Our judge at the show, kept looking back at me pullets, and I finally asked if there was a problem in the pen. He said no, "you just cannot get over a chicken that is perfect". He did not know that those were my birds, as I had turned my name tag over, to be fair. We will see how she, and her sisters do.
I hope I don't get laughed out of the building. How have the pullets done that I sent to you jarvis?

Why can't you show at an APA sanctioned show?
Because Splash isn't a recognized colour for Rosecombs in the APA standard. Only Black, Blue, and White are recognized by the APA. I intend to go anyway, as there will also be a sale, and I may be able to learn a thing or two either way. Not only that, but my birds aren't ready for a show. Maybe next year when they're older and I'm a little wiser. Haha.

Because Splash isn't a recognized colour for Rosecombs in the APA standard. Only Black, Blue, and White are recognized by the APA. I intend to go anyway, as there will also be a sale, and I may be able to learn a thing or two either way. Not only that, but my birds aren't ready for a show. Maybe next year when they're older and I'm a little wiser. Haha.
I know they're not in the APA Standard, I'm the one that told you they weren't. That doesn't mean they can't be shown at an APA sanctioned show. If they are ever to be admitted to the Standard people have to show them.

Last edited:
Hm, I would've figured being an unaccepted colour would make them ineligible for showing. I've never shown before and this is my first venture into chickens; I realize showing is a great way to learn, especially if I want to be serious about keeping chickens (which I do). I'm not even sure if my birds are worth showing; they are from a good local breeder, and they seem like very good birds for their age (March hatch), but they'll need a lot of work before I can show them. They are very flighty and don't like being handled. And I'm just not yet sure about how to go about preparing for a show; I've shown horses and cattle, but never a chicken or chickens.

I still need to get good pics of my birds, and when I do I'll post them up and see what some more-experienced breeders and showers think of them before I make any solid decisions. The show isn't until December.

And sorry for repeating back to you what you already told me; didn't mean to.

Well, got a few pics of the Rosecombs. Not the best pics as they are quite flighty and tend to huddle away from me, but got some good shots of the cockerel and a couple of the pullets. The pullets are laying, but not regularly, but considering the time of year that's not surprising. One of the hens doesn't have as nice of earlobes as the other two and didn't want to really come forth for a picture either. I think they're nice birds, but I need more experienced eyes to help me know for sure. Click the pics to view full-size.

Back
Top Bottom