Ross Cobs as meat birds

Thank you all, I appreciate the kind words. I don't think of myself as any kind of expert, though, and don't have time to run a website. I was, like most people, misinformed about the genetics of the super fast growing meat birds. They are marketed as Cornish Rocks, and Cornish Rock X's, (at least in the US) which implies that they are a cross between those two breeds. There are websites that support that belief and they're usually sites that have otherwise reliable information.

I don't think I had any other misinformation, however, and if I did, I would appreciate a CALM PM on the subject, with some sort of references if possible, rather than anymore vociferous outbursts. If I find I was mistaken about something, not just a difference in preference or opinion, I'll post it.

Bec, I've never encountered that head tilting thing. If it was only one bird, I'd suspect an injury of some sort, running into the wall or something, but it seem unlikely that two would have the same injury, but possible, I suppose. I wonder if the two got in a fight and hurt each other? Probably not, I'm just at a loss. You may want to go ahead and send those two to freezer camp, though, before you lose them. That's what I did when an older (almost a year old) Cornish X hen was showing signs of CHF, I'd already lost several. There was so much fat around her heart and lungs, she wouldn't have lasted much longer. Those big hens lay such huge eggs, I was sorry they didn't do better. I know you can keep a Cornish X hen alive for a long time, if you are very careful about the amount if feed they get, and make sure the get out and range with the other birds. I need birds that I can treat the same as my others though, (for any to be kept as part of my regular flock) because I don't often have time for special treatment of different breeds, other than starting the chicks out on a feed different than the adults get.

That's the one thing about raising the meat breeds that makes it easier for me to butcher them, is knowing they aren't really healthy enough to live long anyway, if I don't eat them.

But I still want a healthier breed!

And Becky, (and all the other small flock raisers here, and those interested) absolutely, keep in touch, and feel free to PM me all you want. I sometimes may not get back to you for a few days, but I will first chance. I'm happy to hear from you, anytime.

Last edited:
Quote:
Too right!

Yup ! Love me, praise me, just don't confuse me with the facts.

I don't want to derail the thread further but I would like to point out that I didn't ask anyone not to speak their mind, just to create a new thread. You can certainly give the all the facts you want to on that thread.

Looks like someone did create a new thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=880760#p880760

Last edited:
I've got a few young roos destined for freezer camp, the results of a failed breeding experiment. Not very big, lots slower than I wanted, but healthy, and hopefully, edible. Or so I hope, I saw Kstavin's thread about the bad cross, (how NOT to breed a meat bird) I do hope I don't end up with any like that. But if I do, I think I'll make some chew toys for my dogs. I have four dogs, they help me dispose of any unwanted meat-like substances. (stuff too tough for humans to chew, and, shall we say, "by-products".)

Last edited:
Quote:
Isn't it amazing what you can learn from failure?

I wrongly assumed that my buff orps would also be great meat birds. After all, I reasoned, a chicken is a chicken. And besides, the Buff Orps looked large to me.

My birds were great egg layers and wonderful birds but when it came time to eat them I was sadly disappointed. They were not tough, just not meaty at all. The meat was all strings. The broth was WONDERFUL, but I would have liked a little meat in my soup.
roll.png

Now I understand that I need a different breed of chicken for producing meat.

I was thinking of buying a combination of the Freedom Rangers from JM Hatchery(I don't think that they call them that now) and some Cornish Xs from McMurray to see which ones that I like best. But the idea of creating your own hybrid is pretty interesting also.

I have dogs who would gladly help me get rid of my mistakes also.

Deb, I've read a lot of positive posts not only here, but on other forums, about the Rangers, Color Rangers, Freedom Rangers. (whatever the heck they're called, JM's birds anyway) They seem to be a good choice for a meat bird. I may try some in the spring, if I haven't got any meat types of my own producing well by then. (I always have chicks in the spring and summer, it's just not always anything that makes a really good meat bird. We eat some anyway, but you know what I mean.)

I've raised the Cornish X's in the past, and I'm not really happy with them. They do grow very fast, and they're plump and tender by 8 weeks, ready for the freezer. The problem, for me, is that I want to keep a breeding population of meat birds, and it's not practical to do that with Cornish X. For one thing, it's hard to keep them alive long enough to breed anyway, (2) they're hybrids and don't breed true, (3) they eat so voraciously, who could afford to keep them if they could, and (4) they rarely forage well enough to be of any help defraying feed costs, even if you have good pasture for them.

However, they are a good choice for somebody who wants to raise some meat birds quickly, and if you don't have space, time, or inclination to do all the experimentation-type things I want to do. The home raised ones still taste better than what you buy at the store, are usually bigger, and you know how they were handled during processing, you don't have to be concerned that they were contaminated by poor handling, because you do it yourself. (Correction, I do my own, I often forget that some people prefer to pay a processor. If you do that, try to get one that will allow you to see how they work, so you have some idea if they will handle your food to your satisfaction)

I've read that the Rangers grow a bit slower, so don't have so many leg problems, or early death from CHF, etc. They forage well, so you get a healthier bird, but not as quickly as the C.-X's. Not quite as heavy either, but most of the folks said they were good eating. I'm willing to sacrifice a little size, and even a little tenderness, for a healthier bird. I just feel they're better for you, as food. Mine free range, so they get a lot of greens, which makes for a better ratio of the essential fatty acids, they get beta carotene, trace minerals, etc. I have a good place to do that, I know not everybody has that option.

My goal, (forgive me repeating myself) is to find a couple of breeds that when crossed, produce a good meat bird, with qualities similar to the Rangers. I want to maintain a breeding population of the two breeds, and hatch eggs from the crosses when I want to raise meat birds. With luck, there will be a market for excess purebreds that will inevitably be produced in the course of keeping the pure strains going.

Part of this is my rebelling against the industrialization of food in general, part is my natural inclination to experiment and learn, and part, frankly, is a little paranoia that our economy and way of life may well be headed for a collapse. I'd like to be prepared to feed myself and my family if that comes to pass. If it doesn't, great, it doesn't hurt anything or anyone for me to be prepared. Sort of like having a storm cellar in tornado country, even if your own house never gets hit.
If TSHTF, and you depend on a hatchery to supply your meat birds, and that option is suddenly unavailable, what would you do?

Back in the depression, people hunted a lot for a while, but game became scarce, after awhile. We have a much larger population now than we did then, and a lot less space for wildlife. It wouldn't take long for game to be hunted out, in a lot of places.

I estimate that over half of the information offered as facts by dancingbear regarding the propgation of meat chickens is is incorrect. This is even after she has recanted somw of her opinions in the face of unemotional facts.
There are other sources of information available and I encourage you to research those before you suffer disappointment.
I regret that I have been unable to push past the paranoia and blissful ignorance pervasive on this site to help you folks with the benefit of my fifty years experince in many phases of poultry husbandry. I can only hope that you will discover methods of good husbandry before to much time and money is lost, to many birds suffer and you become disenchanted with poultry.

Do not waste time on me regarding this matter. I am gone from this site and will block e mail originating from the same.

Even while I am abandoning my attempt to help I wish you, and your birds, well.

It just occured to me that this post will probably be deleted. Oh well. I really did try.

When Bec first started this thread I was very interested as I had had such a bad experience with the Ross Cobb birds and, although very put off the whole idea, I was open to thinking about meat production at some point in the future.
I will be very interested to hear the results of your "experiments" and let's hope we will not be bulldozed as has happened this time. Good luck with what you are doing and please keep us informed as to your progress. Cheers:)

Back
Top Bottom