Ross Cobs as meat birds

Part of this is my rebelling against the industrialization of food in general, part is my natural inclination to experiment and learn, and part, frankly, is a little paranoia that our economy and way of life may well be headed for a collapse. I'd like to be prepared to feed myself and my family if that comes to pass.

Hi Jenny:) Just to go off-topic a bit, I just wanted to say in response to what you said (above) that you are not alone in your feelings of some kind of collapse in the future. I feel exactly the same apprehension. I think we may be in for a breakdown of society or at least a shift in the way in which we live on a scale never seen before in our civilization's history. Have you read about the Mayan calender and the significance of the year 2012?
If not, give it a look in. I am not a crazy person, but I am open minded and believe there is a lot that we don't know about the history of our Earth and the more and more I read and the more and more I question, I am convinced that we are not the first advanced civilization to have lived in the Earth's 5 billion year-old lifetime.
It's weird, it's like I can feel it in my gut. Something is going to change dramatically. Don't know what, and it may very well be that out of it comes a more enlightened, harmonious way of living, but I am preparing for the possibilities and want to learn how to sustain myself should anything significant happen. The human race needs a MASSIVE wake up call to the mess it has created on this planet. The Earth is a far more powerful thing than many people give credit for, and like everything, it has a breaking point!
I have not said this to frighten anyone and I don't care if people think I'm odd. This is just what I think and wanted to let jenny know that I don't think she is being paranoid.
smile.png

Quote:
Poultry Snob, I couldn't agree with you more if I tried. I strongly ask you to continue to add your wisdom here and on other treads inspite of those that don't want to hear it. To test the hypothesis of flavor and tenderness... My wife and I traveled to Oregon to visit our son, daughter in law ( an ex vegetarian), and almost 2 year old grandson for our son's birthday party with 11 adults and 2 little kids. First, I whent to a horse ranch, that also had a bunch of free ranging chickens of mixed breeds running all over the place. I baught a live 6 lb., red with some black, rooster that was hatched last April that I butcherd myself. Next I came upon a free range chicken farm with several hundred birds. Some were Freedom rangers the rest were RIR. and BR and some black birds.. I baught a 20 week old live , 7 lb., FR that I butchered myself. Next, I baught a whole, 5.1 lb., Certified Organic chicken at an all organic grocery( this one looked the best of the bunch there). I also baught a whole, 8.3 lb., Cornish x from a mega grocery. We baked them all at once and sat down for a feast. Each of us had a taste of a portion from each type of bird. The farm bird was small, thin, tough and stringy with an all right taste. My grandson tossed his drumstick on the floor and said yucky!. His 4 year old girl cousin took only one bite and said yucky. Most of this bird is still in the refrigerator. The FR was better, but not by much... too stringy and tough. About 1/2 in the fridg. The certified organic... that was tasty but stringy and a little tough too . About 1/4 in the fridg. The Cornish X was tasty and tender . My grandson had 2 helpings, his cousin did too... no leftovers. We are going to put the left over chicken into a crockpot this morning to make chicken and dumplings for tonight's dinner. There you have it for a totally undisputable, unscientific case study by a 2 year old carnivore, with an almost a full set of teeth, his 4 year old girl cousin ( and the adults) on the merits of different chicken breeds and husbandry methods.

Perhaps Poultry snob and Bossroo could just talk to each other on their own thread and let us get on with the conversation we want to have here. Would that be possible guys? Then you could tell each other all the stuff you want to hear and leave us who think in a similar way, but differently to you, to discuss our topic. That way we all would get what we want, I think.

Quote:
Admitting to your own failure is a first step to opening one's mind instead of listening to the preachings of a pied piper.

Quote:
Now, wouldn't that be just preaching to one's own choir instead of engaging in a dialog?

Elvis may have left the building, but Wayne Newton is still here.

What Bossroo is missing is that there are people who care about factors BEYOND "What is best (on a superficial level) for me, me, ME." He's made it clear, through mocking, derision, and sarcasm, that he thinks they're all fools. POINT MADE. The "Groundhog Day" comment above was in reference to the fact that he's repeating himself, on a seemingly endless loop.

I propose that, instead of abandoning this thread, which is what he wants, the rest of the posters who would like to continue the discussion do so with no recognition of or response to any further postings from the, er, "outfield."

Last edited:
Hi Bec, I don't know if it's Groundhog Day, but I swear I hear the shrill screams of Daleks in the background....

Interesting you should mention 2012. I know some people who introduced me to a spiritual practice called Munay Ki, it's a Mayan thing. They say there will be a positive shift, that it's nothing to be afraid of. I'm leaning that direction, too, but sometimes I worry about between now and then.

Back
Top Bottom