Rouen Duck thread

Pics
At only four weeks old there really sure answer by color. Any green that you see on the ducklings heads doesn't mean it is a male. I know when my Rouens were babies I thought for sure that's what it meant but it turned out that even my girls had green on there heads until they were older. In another week or maybe even now you should start to hear some changes in their voices. They females will start to quack while the males will be harder to tell and might not start to make noise for a little bit longer. They have a raspy quack almost like a wack instead. Males do have green heads but that won't be until about 10 weeks or so that you will be able to tell the males from females by coloring.

Thanks!!!

Hi, I am somewhat new to raising ducks. I had a few growing up but they were given to us all ready full grown. I recently got two Rouen ducklings from Tractor supply and attempted to vent sex them but I don't think I did it right or they are both girls ha. I'm very anxious to know the sex but I have only had them for almost a month (I'm not sure how old they are already when tractor supply gets them, a day old like the chicks?) I know when they get older the beak color is a good determination and as of right now there is only a very slight beak difference which doesn't say much. One is a lot more vocal then the other and making new noises as opposed to the usual baby chatter. Also only one of them has a white spot towards the lower half of the body on each side. Does the white spots mean anything? Or is it just way to early to tell. Thank you for all the help!

Beak color:

White spots on one duck:

Ok....I have checked and watched. The conclusion I've come to is the duck is not bending legs when walking. Bending to lay down and does a lot of that, but when walking....very stiff legged.
Do I need to do something?

There is nothing wrong with your "Rouen" Duck because this is a runner duck for sure. I have a couple of them. That's why it stands so funny. I'm not sure about the walking part unless it's walking on them boards in the pictures all the time that might be the issue. But this is a Runner duck for sure and it's supposed to stand like up like that.

Hi, I am somewhat new to raising ducks. I had a few growing up but they were given to us all ready full grown. I recently got two Rouen ducklings from Tractor supply and attempted to vent sex them but I don't think I did it right or they are both girls ha. I'm very anxious to know the sex but I have only had them for almost a month (I'm not sure how old they are already when tractor supply gets them, a day old like the chicks?) I know when they get older the beak color is a good determination and as of right now there is only a very slight beak difference which doesn't say much. One is a lot more vocal then the other and making new noises as opposed to the usual baby chatter. Also only one of them has a white spot towards the lower half of the body on each side. Does the white spots mean anything? Or is it just way to early to tell. Thank you for all the help!

Beak color:

White spots on one duck:
No them little differences mean nothing right now. But since they are about a month old then you should be hearing differences in their voices like you said you are. It sounds like you might have a boy and girl if one is a bit more quieter than the other one. But that's not a guarantee just yet. Try picking them up one at a time and bring it into a different area then the other one that should get it to make a bunch of noises. And if you hear a loud quack that means it a female. If you hear a kind of raspy quack that sounds more like a wack then it's a male. Males usually take a bit longer to develop their quacking but sometimes you can hear it early like the females. Listening is the key here since they are young still. Also tractor supply sells ducklings as day olds just like the chicks but you never know how long they have been sitting at the store before you go in and bring them home so it's kind of hard to tell sometimes exactly how old they are when you bring them home.

Beak color:

White spots on one duck:
You really won't know until about 6 weeks when they start quacking, or until they start feathering.

Back
Top Bottom